Mary had little Lamb

(chris.coote) #1

Actually Chris has a bone-in leg for the holiday dinner. Any favorite Keto friendly lamb recommendations out there?

(carl) #2

@george.dowker has a great version of this nursery rhyme… I forget it, though.

(Larry Lustig) #3

Do not over cook!

(carl) #4

Agree. Low and slow. I’d smother it in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and lemon (juice and rind), put it in an oven bag, in a roasting pan, and cook it on low heat (225 to 250 degrees F) for 5 hours.

(Larry Lustig) #5

Hmm, I generally do the opposite! Cook it high, fast, and short to sear the outside and leave the inside bloody. I will have to try your technique. Is the meat still red?

A boneless leg might be very interesting done with sous vide.

(carl) #6

No, the meat isn’t red, but it is tender. If you’re using a slow-cooker, cook it on low for 8 hours. Works great with shanks as well as the leg.

(bulkbiker) #7

Low and slow good for shoulder but leg is great hot and fast … I usually do boneless butterflied on the gas grill 30-40 minutes to get it nice and pink.

(jketoscribe) #8

My husband makes the best braised lamb shanks anywhere. He raises them in red wine. I usually opt for those for my birthday instead of dinner out. So good!!!

(Tom Seest) #9

Lamb Liver…

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

I use this recipe minus the carbage, and roast to 145F. (medium rare).

Slow cooker is a great option too. If you do that have the butcher slice it frozen/fresh with the bone - the bone then fits in the crock pot and you get way more flavour.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

Here ya go :carl: . The version I have known for at least 40 years. Lol
“Mary had a little lamb she tied to a heater, and every time it turned around it burned its little- PETER Peter pumpkin eater had a wife and couldn’t keep her, put her in a pumpkin shell and there she died and went to HELL-o operator, give me number nine, if you disconnect me, I’ll kick you in the BEHIND the frigerator there was a piece of glass, little Susie slipped on it and cut her little ASSk me no more questions, tell me no more lies, this is the true story of… steamboat number 999!”

(Scott Shillady) #12

This reminds me of the time I was dating a vegetarian. she knew I ate meat and said that she had no problem with that. So after a few dates I decided to test her to see if she truly didn’t have a problem with my carnivorous ways. We went to a nice restaraunt, she orderd a pasta dish, I ordered the rack of lamb,rare. she had to excuse herself from the table 3 times, and didn’t touch her meal. No suprise this relationship didn’t survive the night

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

Wow. Just wow.

(george.dowker) #14

M Mary had a little lamb,
A little ham, a little jam,
An ice cream soda topped with fizz,
Boy how sick our Mary is.
----Boys Life Magazine, circa 1962----

(Meeping up the Science!) #15

Love it, George!

(Larry Lustig) #16

I know this in a form not appropriate for this forum:

Mary had a little lamb, a little bread, a little jam. . .

(carl) #17

Aw, now I wish I could see what you wrote

(Scott Shillady) #18

On mobile I just yap the blur and see the word. If you you click on word on desktop you should be able to see it.

(Larry Lustig) #19

That’s how it works for me. Chrome browser, (but I may be on the beta channel).

The expurgated words, considered inappropriate for ketogenic viewing, are “bread” and “jam”.

(melinda) #20

I never knew the beginning of this rhyme! I know the rest!!! Miss Suzy had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell, miss Suzy went to heaven the steamboat went to hell-o operator give me number nine the boys are in the bathroom zipping up their Flies are in the meadow, the bees are in the park, Miss Suzy and her boyfriend are kissing in the D-A-R-K D-A-R-K DARK DARK DARK! DARKER than the ocean, darker than the sea, darker than the underwear my mama puts on me!