Market survey on Canadian Sugar Consumption Trends

Some interesting insight here on Canadian consumer trends, and explains why real sugar consumption is declining in Canada, and why artificial sweeteners increased. Also, there is a difference between men and women in sugar consumption and trends.

Summary of some points:

• There is an increasing negative perception of sugar, and it’s negative effects on health, which contributed to its decline in the past few years. While artificial sweetener sales increased 11 %
  • Men are more likely to buy food with artificial sweeteners, while women tend to seek “natural” sugars or sweeteners
  • Women tend to consume more sugar than men, because they seek “natural” sweet foods, and opt for products like honey instead of table sugar or artificial sweeteners
  • massive confusion in the marketplace, natural versus artificial, which impacts sugar sales
  • consultants are advising their clients (ie food manufacturers) to emphasize “natural” in their marketing, as this is a valued characteristic

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/research/canadians-not-so-sweet-on-sugar-mintel-70824

I’m just hoping that as the effects of sugar become more widely understood and accepted that food giants don’t just simply swap out one for the other. I think that the findings of current studies are (eventually) going to result in significant disruption to the processed food industry…I’m just concerned at what that will create.

If one thing’s for sure though, the next decade is going to be really interesting to watch when it comes to health and nutrition.

(Jacquie) #3

Anecdotally, most men I know avoid AS’s like the plague and the women use them. My hubby doesn’t have health or weight issues and uses neither. Maybe that’s why. :wink: