March 2018 Weight Maintenance check-in thread

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

How is everyone doing this month? Did anyone go to the LowCarb Breck conference?

I had a slight rise above my 3 lb range, so am doing some extra fasting. I was going to just do the IDM fast from Sunday night to Wed. But since I had seen that jump upwards, I refeed one meal and started another that I plan on ending at dinner on Sat. I am also going to do primarily bone broth this fast, so far no coffee. I want to see if there is a difference. I’ve been hearing that the bone broth really helps your skin, so who doesn’t want that benefit? Also coffee can cause me to go slightly dehydrated and I drink a LOT of water.

KCKO
KCFO

(Pete A) #2

Keto-ing on here, not looking to lose scale weight, focusing on body recomposition (lose fat, gain muscle). Enjoying my food and exercise and ketopiahead.

(Karen Parrott) #3

I’m doing okay, I am still 2-3 pounds above my best weight maintenance range. I have a mild cold that I’m still finishing and that always results in higher maintenance weights.

I’m still fasting 18:6 most days.

This month will be about managing stress, sleep, and keeping any binge urges under control. I’m cycling though a month of a little higher protein for management of the higher weight

Same here! I want abs and a toned butt. I can feel the muscle under there, but it is not visually showing. I do want to drop a few more lbs to get there, but my body has other ideas. I do a few 20:4 fasts a week, and the other days are two meals (lunch and dinner or breakfast and dinner). I suspect I consume too many calories though, but I work out 5 times a week and get hungry!

(Pete A) #5

I too have muscles I never knew I had bulging, as well as veins, along with the unsightly visceral fat that’s left. Im becoming more defined for only lifting for 3 weeks (dumbbells 20 minutes a day). I’m determined to keep on that plus my other exercise.

So if the scale goes up a little or down, I win. I also do IF.

What is your typical fasting schedule? The fat I am working on has not budged in a while, so I am annoyed.

(Garry (Canada)) #7

Just going with the flow, as I’m within 5-10lbs of what I consider ideal for me. Any further weight loss than that and I’ll have more veins than a Google map!
Anyways…I dropped the protein level down slightly over the weekend and monitoring things.
Currently sitting within 3 lbs of my all time low of 168.2lbs with the target being to maintain 165lbs.
KCKO

(Pete A) #8

I do 15:9 which seems a sweet spot. And no snacking unless I’m edgy.

(Eric Black) #9

Only 7 weeks into Keto. Down 24 LBs. I am can’t wait for better weather so I can walk outside.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #10

My maintenance has failed the last 3 months. I have gained about 8 lbs since I hit the maintenance mode. I eat in a 4 hour window between Monday and Friday and do 18:6 on the weekends. I knew OMAD was bad for weight loss but thought it was great for maintenance. Appears that is not the case for me. But it is so convenient and I am not hungry until later. I might actually be eating too much in that window because I eat way more in that smaller time frame then I do when my eating window is larger.

For the rest of the month I will try eating twice a day in an 18:6 window and fasting for 36+ hrs once a week to see if that changes something.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

I find the more I mix it up, even in maintenance the better my results. If I get into too much of a pattern, I start drifting upwards. So try extending that window a bit and breaking up your eating into the two meals and see how you go.

Maintenance requires as much work as weight loss. Good luck on sorting yours out.

(Eric Black) #12

I have bullet coffee in morning and still eat 2 meals in the day. I haven’t gone to fasting yet. Still feeling what works. I figure it takes about 2 weeks of a pattern to decide if it works or not.

I have decided to think of maintenance as “lazy” weight loss mode. Still Keto, still alternating 2 meal days with 1 meal days, and maybe a 2-day fast from time to time. I started to really dislike fasting for longer than 24 hrs. Cold, hungry, irritable, etc. I would love to lose a few more lbs but having stalled for 3 months now, I am not sure it’s in the cards.

(Eric Black) #14

I have not lost the big numbers that others have posted. I started keto 9 weeks ago, weighing 280. I have taken about 3 lbs a week of. This morning hit 30 lbs off. I figure a nice steady pace is good and allows my body to adjust. I also know that I need to exercise daily, which has not been happening during the winter. Thus I am looking forward to riding my bike or walking the dog daily as the weather turns better. This should help the weight loss move. As to eating, I started with 3 meals a day and a snack. incidental carbs only. Now bullet coffee in the morning, and 2 meals. Try not to eat after 9pm. Seems to keep me going and not really cranky. Also sleep has been much better. Overall, a much happier me, and feel more attentive to my family.

(Pete A) #15

These are big numbers.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I’d call it HUGE.

Eric, Did that 30 lbs. loss get you to your maintenance weight?

Ugh, I am gaining weight. Size (pants, bodycon dresses) is about the same, but the scale is going insane. My absolute lowest (fasted) weight was 136, and 143 upon refeeding. I weighed in at 150 yesterday!! I have been working out a lot for the last couple of months, so am pretty certain it’s that, but I can’t help but get upset every time I step on the stupid dumb lying scale.

I would like to lose some more belly and thigh fat and gain muscle there instead. I am currently on day 2 of what I hope will be a 3 day fast. I am really disliking extended fasting these days, I get very very cold and super irritable.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Sounds like you don’t have enough fat stored these days to do the EFing you had done before. I know I sure can’t do the longer EFing I did to get to my goal weight without some supplementation, not a lot, just a little. If I want some autophagy to happen, I just do 36-40 hrs. of water and salt, otherwise I have some nuts or more coconut oil in my black coffees.

Here is the link:

Yes, that’s definitely possible, although I swear I have more body fat to lose. The scale ( not to be trusted, I know) says I am 25% body fat. It sounds like maybe I am having trouble tapping into it during the fast. I do add a bit of half and half in my coffee, which seems to help. I also have to remember to take my salt tablets as it seems to help.

I still hate seeing 150 on the scale though despite knowing it’s probably due to exercise. Maybe I should hide the stupid thing :triumph:

Day 43, down 18.2 lbs and 34% to goal. So far, no exercising, but will start running when I lose another 1.8 lbs. Silly goal, but I wanted to adjust fully to Keto.