March 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #123

Thanks Karen!

Just broke a 10 day fast on day 4 to eat ice cream with my daughter. It was one of those moments when I was going to pass and she turned to me and said something along the lines of itā€™s hand made I would totally break a fast for it. I was like I donā€™t need ice cream and I can walk out the door and not feel bad about missing out but it was ice cream for an event and I thought hmmm maybe a little would be an okay example of a healthy relationship with food. So I got a kidā€™s dish and offered half to my kiddo. Sad part was it was okay but not great. So eating dinner and then fasting as planned until Saturday. This would have been completely different years ago. I would have had a medium or small waffle cone and never thought twice about not getting some or only eating part of it. Ice cream is my favorite dessert.

(Valerie Williams) #125

Jackson be careful berberin really knocks my socks off. Really get sick from candida die off with it.

(Karen) #126

30 hours on a short fat fast. Going to try fasting every other day this week.

K

(Hala) #127

Plz explain more ? Wht the bad side effect of berberine ?

(Karen) #128

38 hoursā€¦stopping at 40. Serious drop on the scale today. Pray God I hold on to it. Fasting again Tuesday, trying to shake it up.

K

(Karen) #129

Someday I shall eat icecream, but that day is not today.:innocent::innocent:

K

This morning I weighed in at 146.1lbs- I am happy things are still moving! I have a theory about doing my eating window in the morning to afternoon and fasting from 4pm until the morning. Iā€™m going to try that for a bit!
Someone also told me yesterday that I look a lot thinner, so Iā€™m feeling very happy about my progress at this point. Hopefully the scale doesnā€™t keep fluctuating back to 151. Even still, it seems I am making progress.

Have you tried coconut manna/butter? Maybe itā€™s something you could incorporate?

(Valerie Williams) #131

I was taking it to kill off candida I had from long term antibiotic use for Lyme disease. It was very tough on my stomach. Also made me feel like I had a bad case of the flu. Headache, body aches, sweats, malaise, tiredness. I was using under the direction of my naturopath, I would use extreme caution using it on your own. I also remember he made me pulse it, a couple weeks on then a couple off.

(KaizenKate) #132

way to go! longest fast Iā€™ve had is 4 days trying to combat T2D. I love that my blood glucose numbers drop to normal withing 1st day, gives me hope my A1C number will eventually improve. Havenā€™t lost *old weight yet as I believe my body is busy kickstarting my pancreas and fatty liver.

*I did overeat at Christmas (gained 12 pounds in December, but lost that all again in January with three 3 day fasts)

Thinking I need to reduce dietary fat so my body will burn itā€™s own fat. Anyone know when I should know Iā€™m fat adapted and can cut back dietary fat to actually lose body fat/weight?

(Liz ) #133

How long have you been strict Keto? I became fat adapted after 6 weeks, but its different for everyone. If you are able to comfortably extended fast itā€™s likely you are already there. Whether or not cutting back on dietary fat aids in weight loss is an individual experiment.

Started a 3 days fast last night, the longest Iā€™ve done is 72 hrs, Iā€™ll see how I feel and if I can push it to 4 or 5 days. Wish me luck :slight_smile:

I made bulletproof ice cream yesterday, its pretty keto, your someday can be in the near future :wink:

(Liz ) #135

Hey fast friends :smile: Iā€™m taking a break from my weekly EFs and sticking with fatty coffees along with mostly OMAD while I get my protein grams sorted out. My weight has been the exact same number for 4 days now lol, itā€™s sort of surreal. When I get my more moderate protein goals set I will add EF back in.

(KCKO, KCFO) #136

Thanks, guess I will be doing a two part Zornfast refeeding on the 17th is DHā€™s birthday wonā€™t be fasting for that, then after dinner starting part two.

(KCKO, KCFO) #137

Liz, I have been reading Jeff Gerber and Ivor Cummins book, Eat Rich, Live Long. It is making me rethink my protein needs as well As I am a very light activity person, walking, dumbbells, and some resistance training only (yoga fits into that along with some other stuff) I realize now I should be using a smaller number, will be trying to get no more than .6 gram per lbm weight. Will try that for a month or so and see how I go. While I am in maintenance, when I fast I find I put back on the weight every time and sometimes it is closer to my old goal than my current one. So not the end of the world, but I like the lower number so much better now. Iā€™d like to keep it tighter.

Good luck to both of us getting protein sorted out properly.

(Liz ) #138

Thank you, I am so eager to read that book!! I plan to buy it from my friends who own a bookstore or I would have ordered it online already lol.

Let me know how it goes with lowering protein. What are you aiming for? I have not had any issues with satiety so far going from 70-90g to 50-60g. Is that .6 per pound or per kg?

(Teresa Bringardner Morley) #139

Oh, Iā€™m right there with you!! Struggling to get back into control. However, I did OMAD yesterday and today, hope to do the same tomorrow.

(KCKO, KCFO) #140

Liz, .6 per lb of lean body mass. I havenā€™t had a DEXA, so I am just using the calculator at bodybuilding.com My drā€™s. scale put me at 102 lbm, so that is how I arrived at the 61g. I keep waffling about getting a DEXA because I think I might have a bit more lean body mass, but wonā€™t know till I get one done.

I keep trying to decide if the DEXA or a food sensitivity test would give me the most bang for my buck. My allergies didnā€™t fall under the normal skin testing I had done years ago and they still cause me issues a few times a year. They are not nearly so bad since going Keto/LC but I still get them in a much milder form and not as often.

(Liz ) #141

Ok Iā€™m doing .5 per kg so thatā€™s how I got to 60 but Iā€™m trying to stay closer to 50 if possible. I still eat plenty of fat.

A Dexa would be so useful, I agree. But if I had one, I know Iā€™d need more to compare.

I hope your allergies abate for good at some point.

(Stephanie Sablich) #142

The combination of flying two time zones east, the time change, a late flight, and an intense day of classes left me EXHAUSTED today. Iā€™ve not felt this way on keto at all, so I knew my body was struggling. My original plan was to fast from Sunday to Wednesday, but I broke this fast earlyā€¦ it is the first time Iā€™ve allowed myself some flexibility in my fasting schedule. Iā€™m always afraid that ā€œmessing upā€ (by simply going off schedule) will send me down a carby rabbit hole.

Guess what, friends!? I did it. I went for a long run, broke my fast with a Samiā€™s low carb bagel and cream cheese and an unholy amount of thick-cut bacon at 22 hours, and then aced my exam this evening. I want to lose weight. I want to lose size. I want to reverse metabolic derangement and Type II Diabetes. But most of all, I want to change my emotional relationship with food and with my body. For so long, I didnā€™t trust myself at ALL. I did all the ā€œright thingsā€ and got heavier and more unhealthyā€¦ why WOULD I trust myself?

Tonight, I trusted myself. Iā€™ve been losing weight, my blood pressure has improved, my insulin resistance is resolvingā€¦ but tonight, I took a step towards a healthy relationship with food and a healthy relationship with my body. Iā€™ve never been more excited about this way of eating. Iā€™d have felt like a failure before, and tonight, Iā€™m going to sleep a champion.

Keep calm and keto on, friends!