Making lard JUICE (and pork rinds)

(mole person) #21

I have some boiled and dried pork skin that I mean to try frying today. I didn’t boil as long as you though. I hope it still works. This will be my fourth attempt. All the others have been pretty shitty so far with the last being inedible. They just don’t really ever puff enough and are too hard.

(mole person) #22

By the way, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

These look so much better than the store bought variety. Is it super labor intensive? And where does one get pig skin from? I need to make friends with a butcher I suppose :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #24

I am lucky to have a Mexican market 1 mile from my home. Fresh lard and chicharones and lard every day without any mess to clean up! $1 a pint for fresh rendered lard. It’s not the Snow White variety though, tan to golden brown usually, and very “porky” flavor. Works for me though. I buy it to make carnitas usually (pork butt boiled and eventually fried in lard).

(Running from stupidity) #25

Shouldn’t really matter.

I’ve def found that the scraping the soft fat off after boiling really helps. I had far less “non-puffers” in the scraped batch.

Thank you ma’am. MOSTLY it’s a cheap LED lightbox (the new one I got last week is so much better just because it’s bigger and gives a bit more space), a couple of pieces of perspex to sit in the bottom of the lightbox, a cheap and old camera with a couple of nice (but cheap) lenses, and some years of experience. Really, nothing special at all in terms of gear.

I don’t think so, really. The initial part, where you clean the skin before boiling, is the longest bit, and that took about 20 minutes to d a kilo or so? Also, I’m getting quicker as I get used to the system.

After that, you put them on to boil and then go do other stuff, pull them out, put them on racks in the oven and go do other stuff, then heat the lard and fry them and you’re done.

Takes a few hours, but not much actual working time.

And where does one get pig skin from?

I get mine from the local markets - the meat hall has several pork butchers, so it’s dead easy.

I have been meaning to ask the Vietnamese butchers around here if they sell it - might be cheaper. Must remember to do that. (Yeah, sure.)

I would too in that instance. However, being in Australia…

(mole person) #26

THEY WORKED!!!

Only one problem…they are already gone!! :unamused:

(Running from stupidity) #27

WOOHOO!

Only one problem…they are already gone!! :unamused:

Well, you didn’t make enough. (Seems to be my day for pointing out the obvious :slight_smile:

(mole person) #28

Actually I really didn’t. With the boiling and the drying it makes sense to do large batches to save on energy costs. Next time I’ll do at least double.

Do you think the skins can be frozen until i have enough?

(Running from stupidity) #29

Yeah, I only did a kilo this time as it was an experiment again, but now I’m happy I’ve got it sorted I’ll do two next time.

Do you think the skins can be frozen until i have enough?

Hmm, good question. Don’t see why not. I’d do the “cut the fat and meat” think off first, though, just to make it easier once you pull them out :slight_smile: And I’d keep the fat if you can so you can render it into lard when you have enough (if that’s your plan).

(mole person) #30

OH YES…I love piggy fat.

Oh I never thought to check here. We we’re talking about getting chorizo from the meximart but fresh pork rinds …hell yes!