Making coconut milk from powder

(Colin) #1

I recently bought some coconut milk powder for the first time. This is the one I bought: https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/vegan-coconut-milk-powder/

I followed the instructions on how to make it up, several times, each time more or less the same way as it says, but varying the water temperature slightly, and on the last occasion, using a stick/immersion blender before letting it cool in the fridge.

So far, I’ve only ended up with slightly thickened coconut water. What am I doing wrong?!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

The end result aside, you are looking at 55g carbs per 100 g product…

Not very Keto friendly.

(bulkbiker) #3

Isn’t that what coconut “milk” is?

No, it’s supposed to be really thick. It’s used in a lot of Thai foods. 1/3rd cup has 4 grams of carbs. 11 grams saturated fat. I happen to have a can here, and if you shake it nothing slushes around, it’s solid in there. I love it, with lots of curry and meat. I haven’t had any in a long time. It is very rich. Ingredients are coconut extract, water, guar gum.

(David Cooke) #5

hmm… here in Thailand we can buy (if not taking it from the coconut directly) pure coconut milk, which remains liquid, and pure coconut cream, which solidifies in the fridge. I use coconut cream usually, cheaper than cream cheese and probably healthier.

Yep, my can says coconut milk but it’s cream. It’s confusing here, because both the milk and the cream are labelled as milk. You have to shake the can to figure out what’s in it. I like the cream also, and that’s what’s in my can. You can also buy coconut water, which is just the liquid from inside the coconut.

I wonder if you purchased the “coconut CREAM powder” if you would have better results. I recently purchased some and have only used it in smoothie recipes, but something in there is making it rich and creamy, I assumed it was the coconut cream powder.
Sue