Major Score!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

I guess you still haven’t spotted your typo.

454.54kg = 1002.089 pounds :ok_hand:

(Laurie) #22

Good catch! Canada switched to metric about 50 years ago. But I’m still not used to it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

Agreed @islandlight! One of the things I find particularly abominable is that on the produce displays everything is priced by the pound with the gram equivalent added in very small print at the bottom (if at all). Then at checkout the price is per gram/kilogram. I get customers a hundred times per day asking me why such and such costs so much when it’s only … per.

I’m really tired of the schizophrenia. Bite the bullet and either go metric gung ho or just drop it. 50 years on I don’t care one way or the other. But just get off the pot or dump already.

(Doug) #24

At least you get it in two languages… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

I don’t know about that. The metric system was invented in France so maybe Quebec is totally metric. I wouldn’t put it past them just to snub the ROC (Rest Of Canada). Oh, Canada… :canada:

(Doug) #26

Tabernacle! :smile::grin:

(Marianne) #27

I’m sure that’s true. NY State has laws and restrictions out the ying yang for everything; for me, I don’t think I want to mess with getting an EIN and identification as a business. They’d probably find some way to “tax” me, audit or “something,” (even though I wouldn’t be earning any money). :pleading_face:

(Doug) #28

New York is indeed a special case in some ways. :smile:

We have a Restaurant Depot near my work as well, here in MD. And there are a few employees at my office who rave about them too. But I’ve personally never been in one, or tried getting access myself.

I’d like to check them out one day, but it is supposed to be for those with a business, so never fooled with them. Though, ones I know who have mentioned having membership, also don’t have businesses either, so it isn’t probably too hard to get one. … I always figured if they wanted more business, they could simply open it up to others as well? But that’s on them I guess.

If you shop at Costco, some of them carry ghee at a VERY reasonable price.

I, personally, would never use mayo. I have yet to find any mayo whose ingredients I like. They almost all have soy and/or canola oil as a base. Yuck.

I love ghee and use it all the time. One of the things I love about it is that it has a really high smoke point.

Here are some other suggestions:

Keep your bacon grease and use it to sear. Not only is it totally free, it has a high smoke point AND can give your meat a bit of smokiness, although I find it to be taste neutral if I’m braising.

Cut some fat off of the meat you’re searing, and use it to put fat in the pan. Just rub it around while the pan is hot.

Use a dry pan and start your meat fat side down. This will impart enough fat to get it started. Heat the pan to the smoke point first.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a cast iron pan for searing (most of the time I do it on my grill to keep the smoke out of the kitchen). If you have a well used and seasoned cast iron pan, you really don’t need fat in the pan first as long as you have that pan really good and hot and you start your sear fat side down.

If you don’t have any cast iron pans, get some! The best place is at flea markets and garage sales. You can pick up some cast iron pans for $2-3 each. It doesn’t matter if they look awful (caked with rust, whatever), they’re easy to clean and cure.

Good luck!

Oh, I do most of those already. Use Bacon Grease, Fat from the cut, etc. I just mentioned Mayo since I do use that option from time to time as well. (And mostly Mayo I make) … But the one thing I don’t have is a Cast Iron Pan. Been planning on getting one, just haven’t yet. But I do sear on the grill as well open flame. Find this best when the family wants some burgers and I get some high flames to work with.

Cheers

(Marianne) #33

This is my favorite kitchen utensil. I use it almost every day. If you get one, there are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to season it quickly - basically, sandpaper until smooth and then I think bake with oil at a high heat. Wish I had known that to begin with. Mine is nonstick now, but it took a while of using it.

(Polly) #34

The UK did the same but I still cook in imperial measures because I was taught to cook by my grandmother who was born when Queen Victoria was on the throne.

Yeah, we had some old ones they apparently used here years ago, but they were on the small side and apparently the folks who used to live here, like to use them with the Wood Burning Stove. :+1: (Not sure if I have them stored downstairs or not? But plan on picking up a nice sized one for searing on the grill. I don’t think they’re recommended for a glass-top stoves though I think I’ve heard of some using them? I’d be worried about someone hitting the glass top with a small slip, and wrecking the stove. :slight_smile:

(Carnivore for the win) #36

Good call on the homemade mayo. I haven’t made it in a while, but I always loved dialing in the flavours. It was like an experiment each time. Getting the vinegar, mustard, and salt just right.

I too recommend a cast iron pan. I have three different sizes. They are fun to season and work in over time, and work great for searing. I also like to use mine on the grill, to capture the meat juices and runoff as it cooks. I get the smoky grilled flavour and do a short final sear to get the grill marks, then use the browned pan drippings, combined with a bit of clarified butter as a sauce. It makes the best ground beef patties I have ever tasted.

Sounds good. I do like you catching up the drippings and making a sauce. Will have to try that. :+1:

And yeah, the home made Mayo I have fun with too. Making different variations, and getting different flavors trying stuff out. Never know what might work quite well in it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

That’s a great idea, using the skillet on the grill. My only problem with grilling meat is losing the pan juices, and this solves that problem.

Actually at present I have a very large, Stainless Steel Grill. Don’t get me wrong, it is nice, but I also find I don’t always need ‘all’ of it, and have been contemplating for a while about getting one of these…

I believe @Ernest has had one for a while now, and seemed to love it. But I haven’t seen him on in a while. … They have the 3 burner and 4 burner models, but I have been thinking of getting the smaller one for the same reasons I have been looking at the one I have now. … Now, when I cook on it, I do try to load it up to maximize the cooking area & who doesn’t like making three or four days worth of meals. But there is times I just want to make something simply, and mine is a bit of over-kill for this.

(Marianne) #40

For whatever reason, I never would have thought of this in a million years. Will do from now on! I also like that there is no grill clean up, which is a pain, and no grease particles all over the kitchen stove and countertops from splattering. It’s amazing how that goes everywhere. We even have grease on the clear light fixture in the hallway and on the kitchen table, which is mainly decorative. Drives me crazy.