Mainstream media reacts predictably to CD

(Jack Bennett) #1

The Doctors show delivers the mainstream opinion and attacks the carnivore diet. Helped out by some lawyer woman, and vegan attack dog Dr Kahn.

Dr Saladino has a few seconds to explain things and does well, but this kind of sound-bite war isn’t really a good place to learn very much. Hope that some people may have had their curiosity activated and dive in to learn more.

(Bunny) #2

Ooooh! Is all I can say (don’t want to mess with the robes of the courts…lol)

She lays it on thick to make him second guess himself?..

I can tell just by the way that women talks that she probably works as pro-temp judge also.

(Richard Hanson) #3

How about the Inuit peoples who ate almost nothing but animals products for hundreds of generations without experiencing the diseases of civilization?

What the caustic lawyer did was to combine two logical fallacies, an argumentum ad verecundiam and an ad hominem. She attacked both Dr Saladino credentials and his character without ever addressing the points of his position. Her behavior was reprehensible.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Bunny) #4

That’s not comparable to cooked and processed animal meats and the Eskimo do eat carbohydrates when they can access it. Traditional Eskimos eat raw and fermented animals and marine life to survive, not to maintain there carnivore status on FaceBook.

Wild animal proteins is not the same as carb fed livestock with a lot of missing nutrients or uneven micronutrients.

(Jack Bennett) #5

Yeah, Dr Saladino alluded to the Inuit way with the Stefansson study, although that of course got attacked by everybody (1930? Only two men?)

The reality is that there’s not a lot of scientific study of carnivore diets. The epidemiology has some vague correlations but not much beyond that (squint and maybe a little increase in colon cancer risk comes up…)

He makes a good point that the common assumption is that plant compounds are universally good and beneficial to humans but that’s an unproven assumption (Phenols! Flavonoids! Phytoestrogens!). And there are lots of cases of plant compounds being toxic or injurious to health - oxalate, lectins, etc.

(Bunny) #6

When you don’t cook it? (hence pre-digest by cooking it because of missing microbiome and enzymes)

If your use to eating raw plants then you will have the proper gut bacteria to break all those bad oxalates and lectins down but our industrialized microbiome makes it difficult when you go raw.

I saw this on Dr. Saladino’s youtube channel and it was very difficult to watch the whole video, mostly because of all the agressivity coming from the doctors. On the other hand, the calm and patience that Dr. Saladino showed in that situation seems to support my belief that the brain is in a happier place when it’s off of that sugar.

(Richard Hanson) #8

Wow, I now feel so terribly inadequate. Thanks for the schooling.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Jack Bennett) #9

I guess it makes for “better” TV if there’s drama and conflict, but it was a little offensive to me - you have a guest on your show and then dedicate all your time beating up on him. I guess it’s part of the talk show formula - have a “controversial” guest so you get to set yourself up as the voice of reason.

Although in that case the allegedly controversial guest seemed calm and stoic, while everybody was getting fired up against him.

Is that mainstream media? Ooh dear. We’re in trouble as civilisation.

I usually find Dr.salad to be a bit too much (overenergetic, fast-paced) in the podcastosphere, but those yelly people created a bit of atmospheric nausea. They made Dr. Salad appear to be the only calm and sane person in the room.

(Bunny) #11

Look at the bright side:

Dietary sources: “…Animal-derived foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and are prone to further AGE formation during cooking.[3] However, only low molecular weight AGEs are absorbed through diet, and vegetarians have been found to have higher concentrations of overall AGEs compared to non-vegetarians.[4] Therefore it is unclear whether dietary AGEs contribute to disease and aging, or whether only endogenous AGEs (those produced in the body) matter.[5] This does not free diet from potentially negatively influencing AGE, but potentially implies that dietary AGE may deserve less attention than other aspects of diet that lead to elevated blood sugar levels and formation of AGEs.[4][5] …” …More

Some smart soul finally updated this Wikipedia post. For a while their they had cooked meat only eaters in the grave…lol

The previous Wikipedia entry was making me angry because I knew that was not true! I was complaining about it previously on this forum.

As soon as that judge woman opened her mouth, I couldn’t watch anymore… :frowning:

I’ll have to watch this in the afternoon…

I don’t know how to add the actual clip, I couldn’t figure it out on my phone, but it’s Dr.Salad’s response to “The Doctors” clip.

edit: figured it out :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #15

You have no actual proof of this, do you? And if this is the case, how does this explain people eating carnivore for years or decades with no issues?

(Bob M) #16

Also, as for the longest studies available, the low fat diet had I think the longest in the WHI dietary intervention trial, 8 years, 49,000 women. Unfortunately, it was a failure.

As for low carb/keto, I think the longest is 2 years, though Virta may break that, but theirs isn’t an RCT.

So, for someone like me, low carb/keto for 6+ years, I’m an unknown. We don’t know what happens to people like me.

Once you’re on any diet for any length of time, at some point you will surpass the longest RCT ever done on your diet. At that point, you’ll be on your own.

And I particularly eat few plants, though not none. I try to eat well cooked plants, other than some fermented plants like cucumbers or pickled plants.

(Elizabeth ) #17

I believe WHI was FFS, Virta is clinical trials just not random controlled

(Elizabeth ) #18

Oh and we all know that Wikipedia can be trusted :slight_smile:

(Katie) #19

I watched it, Dr. Saladino was great.

(Bunny) #20

Yes: If you eat high carbohydrates, your going to be full of saturated fat? And then you eat more of it by eating grain fed livestock? Is that good or bad?

So if an animal eats carbohydrates it’s going full of saturated fats but with a twist; more trans fats (natural trans fats not processed)?

“…Wild-animal fats are different from both farm-animal fats and processed fats, says Dewailly. Farm animals, cooped up and stuffed with agricultural grains (carbohydrates) typically have lots of solid, highly saturated fat. Much of our processed food is also riddled with solid fats, or so-called trans fats, such as the reengineered vegetable oils and shortenings cached in baked goods and snacks. “A lot of the packaged food on supermarket shelves contains them. So do commercial french fries,” Dewailly adds.

Trans fats are polyunsaturated vegetable oils tricked up to make them more solid at room temperature. Manufacturers do this by hydrogenating the oils—adding extra hydrogen atoms to their molecular structures—which “twists” their shapes. Dewailly makes twisting sound less like a chemical transformation than a perversion, an act of public-health sabotage: “These man-made fats are dangerous, even worse for the heart than saturated fats.” They not only lower high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL, the “good” cholesterol) but they also raise low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL, the “bad” cholesterol) and triglycerides, he says. In the process, trans fats set the stage for heart attacks because they lead to the increase of fatty buildup in artery walls. …” …More

There are no essential foods, only essential nutrients.

(Elizabeth ) #21

there’s a lot of information here but I don’t see any proof, that is, links to actual clinical trials that are proving the points that you’re trying to make.