Magnesium, potassium, sodium. Do I need to supplement these three things?

(Marisa Huffman) #1

I’m at the beginning of my 7th week of Keto. I’m really bad at taking even a multivitamin. Like I’ll take it for a month straight and then I won’t take it for 6 months. LOL. I read about maybe supplementing magnesium potassium and sodium on keto, maybe just at first when you start? I am a little confused on this. 7 weeks in do I need to supplement these things? To tell you the truth I don’t feel like most people say they feel on keto. Strong, energetic, clear headed. I am not hungry most of the time. But as far as feeling better during exercise or having a clear head that doesn’t seem foggy I don’t have that good feeling yet. Could it be because I’m not supplementing these things or taking a multi-vitamin? I stopped taking my multivitamin because it had 3 grams of carbs and I think some grams of sugar. Ridiculous. Help please. I want to keep doing this and be successful but I still don’t feel good and I can’t figure out why.

(Ron) #2

It will help balance things. A good suggestion is this.

These will help explain why-

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/supplements

(Lorraine) #3

I have been doing Keto for 9 months. It took about 6 months before I felt a change in energy. And I wouldn’t say that I have loads of energy, even now, but I do have energy. I still get sleepy two hours after eating and have no idea why. I have lost 75 lbs, so I must be doing something right.

I supplement a multivitamin, calcium and magnesium, plus I add extra salt when I think about it. I cannot skip the supplements or I will get persistent leg cramps and charley horses to the point that I cannot get more than two hours of uninterrupted sleep without them. That cures me of ever forgetting them.

Also, I just checked my Centrum Silver for Women and there are no calories or carbs, so no-carb vitamins apparently do exist. I hope this was helpful. I do still consider myself a newbie at this, as well as a self-confessed lazy Ketoer.

(Candy Lind) #4

The most common culprit is electrolyte imbalance and lack of salt. It took me a long time to figure that out! Keto-aide is a big help. I drink 2 bottles a day (although I don’t use the lite salt because I get a lot of potassium through food). Sodium regulates the storage of magnesium & potassium in your cells, so it’s the most important. You should start aiming for 4 grams of salt a day. Some need more, some need less. If you feel super groggy or listless during the day, lick some salt off your hand and drink a glass of water. If you feel better in 30 minutes, then step up your salt game.

(Marisa Huffman) #5

Thank you so much