Maffetone/Zone 2 transition?

(Karl L) #1

I usually ride trails a couple of times a week throughout the winter, but have decided to do Maffetone style training this winter instead. My max heart rate occasionally hits mid-180s on a tough climb at race pace, but I’m 58 so my MAF heart rate is 122!!! On a trainer or treadmill that’s barely breaking a sweat, and an outside ‘run’ it’s as much walking as running. But I kind of knew that going in and am trusting the process.

Here’s my question; I’ve got a 100k hilly gravel and a mountain bike race in mid-April. I’m having trouble finding long term training protocols for this type of training, but assume at some point later this winter I should start adding in some harder efforts…right?

Any insights or links would be appreciated!

(ianrobo) #2

Hi @Sinker how fat adapted are you ?

For example I rode this today - 5 hours all fasted can you ?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1343487264/segments/33295793167

What is the longest ride you can do fasted ?

So remeber what MAF is trying to aim for - less stress on the body so you can go for longer and longer and this means IMHO you do 80-90% in the MAF zone (however I think for fully fat adapted athletes as per Peter Defty you can increase you MAF score by 10 - Phil M and Brad Kearns totally disagree !!).

Yes you should be putting in some HIIT efforts but maybe once a week and start from today (weather etc permitting) but if you can spin up climbs with no need for carbs and increasing your aerobic base for your age group you will see massive improvements if you stick with it, I did !

(Karl L) #3

I can certainly do long rides without carbs (beef jerky & nuts), but haven’t tried any tough rides fasted yet. As soon as we get a little break from the weather (brutal cold snap here right now) I’ll try to venture outside for a more demanding ride outside.

Thanks!!

(ianrobo) #4

My marker is if u can do 2-3 hours fasted then you are fat adapted