MAF Method

(Jack Brien) #62

I have a Vivoactive 3 and now a TickrX, having had several different types of hrm. The Garmin stress number is flipped from HRV, but it’s not very accurate as the watch smooths the numbers. Chest straps give a far more accurate number and this is used by apps such as EliteHRV to give their numbers, which are still only valid as trends. The most significant number as far as I can tell is your ‘morning readiness’ (2 minute reading first thing in the morning, but like a daily weigh in).

(Tim W) #63

That dude is amazing!

I have zero clue how he has the energy to do all that he does. He makes me feel inadequate at life!

(ianrobo) #64

well used to be a top bod at microsoft and clearly loves tech, lives in paris and full time job now is to speak about tech, not a bad life eh ?

(Jack Brien) #65

HRV getting started guide from Elite HRV

(Tim W) #66

Not a bad life at all! Good stuff if you can get it!

I have a garmin footpod but I don’t use it much.

Jack_Brien, thanks for the pdf!

I had a good MAF run today, 14 miles of total MAF HR, that may be the longest I’ve ran without having to slow to a crawl , although the pace was slow, it was bearable.

I think the biggest benefit of MAF is, even if I don’t do an entire run using MAF, I still recover faster and have more energy for the next couple of days. A super long rum will still wear me out for days but the shorter ones don’t hurt as much as hey used to when running anaerobic.

Cheers all!

(ianrobo) #67

exactly all that Tim, you are clearly progressing and as you move forward that will clearly show in races/events where you will not do MAF but your race pace at much higher HR levels. As mentioned before I climbed for 4 hours at average 162bpm, that was my race but because base is so large this was comfortable and I could still sing along or argue at my podcasts as climbed, loneliness of a long distance bike climber ha ha !

(Jack Brien) #68

Pinched from ‘ketofit’. This seems to show that 90-120 mins for aerobic type exercise is best bang for buck.

(ianrobo) #69

yep that seems about right to me as well but especially for cycling you do need the longer rides to put the distance into your legs !

So it seems like some of you guys are pretty tech savvy on what gadgets to use to measure performance. I am looking for suggestions on low tech devices. I want to avoid exposure to emf’s. So what low teck devices are available? I’d like to track heart rate, to train using MAF as well as be able to determine speed per mile. Is there something that will help me out that won’t expose me to emf.

(ianrobo) #71

so what creates EMF’s then ?

Electromagnetic field. Used by smart watches, fitness trackers etc…

(ianrobo) #73

OK so I presume heart straps out then ? so I think you will really struggle to measure it then as any of these devices need a capturing device, be it a bike computer, watch and I presume you don’t have a moby ?

(Jack Brien) #74

taking-pulse

Challenging while running, but yes.

(ianrobo) #76

Does MaF work, hell yeah !!! this was my ride yesterday, awful conditions with a cold easterly and yet look at the average HR (MAF does not count in an event !!

Along with fat adaption I did this fasted and you can see very little rest in my cadence.

oh despite being 2kph sower I actually finished 19 places higher than the same ride last year !