MAF and Biking to work

(Phillip Merritt) #1

Quick question as I am just learning about MAF (just ordered two books from Amazon)
When “Doing”? MAF, does one always keep the heart rate to the 180-age level? According to the formula with asthma/allergies, my heart rate would be 126. Or, does one train at that most of the time and then some rides push it up?

(ianrobo) #2

Hi Phil, let me say what I do.

I do it based on average HR for a ride, it is not quite what Phil M would agree with but I do this with average HR of 118 to work today and 136 coming back (shows impact of work stress !!).

But Brad Kearns and others definitely say do some HIIT etc so my general rule is for the majority of my rides in non events to be MAF so thats 70% and the rest higher.

I live in the NE and most of the winter my riding is on the trainer so it easy easy for me to keep a MAF pace. When I get a chance to ride outside I go anaerobic a lot since I am a large guy and there are a lot of small hills where I live. I figure this is a good mix.

(ianrobo) #4

Yep but kerpbthe stress down on longer rides

(Phillip Merritt) #5

Thanks for the quick replies. Rode today and focused on keeping the heart rate down. I still feel the effects of the workout in my legs for sure. Looking forward to putting in some century rides without having to “carb up” and without being exhausted at the end.

(ianrobo) #6

And that’s what I do and now on my 4th consecutive day of riding and total of 310kms with one tomorrow I’m very cold weather and still strong, however resting after that