Macros and Exercise

(Susan) #1

Hi everyone,
I have decided to start adding exercise into my weekly routine and i am worried that my macros will be too high on non exercise days.

I plan to work out (treadmill 25 minutes and light weight lifting) 3-5 times a week.

I am worried about gaining or not eating enough. I use carb manager and have added light exercise into my calculations which reset and increased my macros.

Does anyone else use this app? When you enter your exercise into the app it recalculates macros and calories based on what the app assumes you have burned. Do you eat those calories and macros again?

This is very new to me and i’m sure i’m not doing the best job explaining it.

I’m happy to answer and clarify any questions
Susan

(Carl Keller) #2

Hello Susan.

I would say to just trust your hunger and keep your carbs low. You may or may not end up eating more. It all depends on how much your body fat is going to power your exercise.

And I will also say that it is possible you might gain some weight as muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you replace one for the other, the scale might go up… but your body will be much better off.

(Robert C) #3

I would be careful about calorie calculators - they are using averages.
A 150 pound person running on a treadmill might burn many more or many fewer calories than another 150 pound person.

So, I would not try to eat up to or down to anything they calculate - instead (as @CarlKeller wrote) trust your hunger.

Also, monitor your hunger - if you find a half an hour on the treadmill makes you want a pizza and milkshake but 15 minutes feels like your heart is pumping, you have a little sweat and half a Ribeye with some sautéed spinach sounds good - that’s keto! You want to drive yourself toward controlling your hormones and enjoying keto (not away trying to over burn calories).

(Susan) #4

Thank you both for your insight. I am going to stick with it and keep trying to listen to my body for what it needs :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Exercise is good for your metabolism but lousy for losing weight, so don’t do it unless you enjoy it. And as the other guys said, eat to satisfy your hunger, not to a predetermined amount of food. As long as you keep your carbohydrate low, all will be well.