Lugols Iodine supplement?

I want any experiences any users have had with this product. I want the good, the bad and the ugly experiences you’ve had with iodine supplements.
I’m wanting to try it for thyroid support. But want to hear from the users experiences first.
A little about me. I’m a 60 year old female, been doing Keto for 2 years. I’m currently carnivore and OMAD. My initial weight loss was around 50lbs. Haven’t weighed myself in a long time. Lost a bunch of inches everywhere on my body. I’ve been stalled for over a year. But I’m not worried, I’m confident my body knows what it’s doing.

(Bob M) #2

I took the high amount in a pill. The theory is that things like fluoride replace the iodine in your thyroid and other locations. After a while, it seemed to give me heart palpitations. I threw the pills away.

I will periodically, maybe 1-2 times per week, when I remember, take Lugols drops, maybe 1-2 in some water after a meal. I forget which one I’m using, and it’s at home. I haven’t noticed much from this, but I also take other stuff too.

(Carnivore for the win) #3

I use one drop, 600 mcg, of Lugol’s iodine, a few times per week as needed, in one cup of water

As I have lost 90 pounds, with 18 months Keto and now 14 months of carnivore I have felt colder, especially my feet. Iodine seems to increase my body temperature or at least feels like it does.

Of intake more than one drop of iodi

I use a hot tub daily, which has bromine and chlorine in the water. They compete with iodine for the same receptors, so I find that I occasionally need a bit of iodine or else I feel colder overall and it defeats the purpose of taking a hot tub.

Iodine seems to give me more energy, but I have enough already on this way of eating, so that isn’t a concern of mine.

The only issue I have found is, if I go over 1000 mcg per dose, I get too hot.

Thank you for sharing your experience :blush:

Thank you for sharing your experience with lugols iodine. I too have the coldness feeling since starting Keto 2 years ago. If iodine will help with that I’m all in :+1:t2:

(Bob M) #6

This is the pill version I took (a massive 50 mg of iodine/day!):

This is the Lugol’s solution I use:

Each drop is is approximately 1.0 mg of iodine and 2.0 mg of potassium iodide.

For a long time after I stopped taking the pills, I did not take any iodine. I then restarted periodically (once a week or so) with the much smaller amount in the dropper.

Thank you for responding :blush:
I’m going to order the lugols drops and do them say 3 times a week.
I’ve been recently taking in more supplements since I’ve gone OMAD. I’m now starting this week trying Magnesium Glycinate, Vtamin C and added Calcium as well. Wanting to make sure I’m getting what I need. The lugols iodine will be added to my supplements.
I’m hoping to calm down some recent symptoms I think are coming from me going OMAD.

(Bob M) #8

Personally, I’d drop the calcium and add vitamin D and k2. You can get them in the same dropper bottle. If you want more bone mass, start lifting, even using your own body weight (which is what I do now).

I never take vitamin C, though some people like it.

If you’re have electrolyte issues, those are tough. Is it potassium, magnesium, zinc, salt,…? Or even some combination of those?

(Polly) #9

Interesting discussion. I take a kelp tablet for iodine although I have a bottle of lugols iodine I have only used it for sterilising cuts and scratches having been too unsure to actually swallow any,

(Carnivore for the win) #10

(Bob M) #11

You know, I never watch videos. No time.

I am the type of person who does watch videos and have seen these. :blush::grinning:

I have been taking 2 drops of J. Crow’s 2% Lugol’s daily for a few weeks. Before that I took another brand, but decided J. Crow’s is a better brand. I’m not certain, but I think I feel warmer, or not as cold, as I did before taking it. Also possibly a little bit more alert (brain sharpness?) although since starting eating this way about 2.5 years ago my memory has much improved and no fogginess any more.
I’m not taking a very high dose, so it’s hard to know for sure.

I have started adding a drop or two to food I prepare for my family and add a drop once a day to my son’s drinks if they will have it. :upside_down_face:

Since my husband’s sister has terminal cancer, I have become more concerned about our levels of iodine among other things. She has had thyroid issues for years. I wish she had tried taking iodine years ago.

Thank you, yes I would love to not feel as cold as I do. I’m the only one that sits in my house under one of those electric lap warmers.

Thank you :pray: :blush:

(Jack Bennett) #17

I’ve been using it for a couple months. I also use J. Crow. I take a couple of drops a day. My health (45M, non-diabetic, normal weight, etc) is fine and hasn’t changed in a noticeable way. I can’t trace any effects, good or bad, to my usage of the iodine.

I’ve used both Lugols and Iodoral, I preferred the Iodoral because it was a pill but they both do the job. I can’t say one was better than the other but one thing I noticed with more Iodine was the cold hands/feet went away. My thyroid (as far as labs are concerned) was fine, but it’s lazy. I’ve proven that by cheating and forcing that thing to crank up and then testing it and while still in lab range I’m a fat burning machine.

If you’re doing everything right… yet have been stalled for a year why are you confident of that? Our bodies screw things up all the time. Do you track your intake so you can rule out yourself as the cause of the stall? I spun my tires for almost a year myself thinking it wasn’t me… it was me. Technically it was my severely slowed metabolism, but that was a by product of my own stupidity so I still blame me.

Remember, doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity!

Have you been tested for Hashimotos? Autoimmune Thyroid. My understanding is that if you have Hashimotos you should not take supplemental iodine. I am not sure exactly why

I think there are differing views on that. Dr. Kenneth Berry has info in video format on that, I think. Not 100% sure, but fairly sure. I’m away from home/my comp so no link to share on it…

(Anthony) #21

I had a similar problem, turns out I wasn’t eating enough. Interestingly enough some of the symptoms I was suffering from seem to over lap with the iodine deficiency.