Lugols Iodine supplement?

Same here! I got into fasting and the whole eating to hunger/satiety thing and it screwed me bad! Don’t know how I was in denial about it as long as I was, every sign was there.

(Anthony) #23

Exact same story here and why I’m not a big fan of fasting anymore. Fasting and calorie cutting on feeding days in a reach to get the scale moving again. Probably would have been called anorexia if I was very lean while doing it, since I’m not it was fasting. The real challenge was coping with putting 10 pounds back on when I bumped my calories back up before i started shedding some weight again.

I did have some success with short PSMFs (1 day) in a calorie cycling setting one to two days a week, though.

Now getting cold is a fairly reliable hunger signal and looking back it had been slapping me in the face for a long time.

(Bob M) #24

If you fast, you have to feast. That’s what Dr. Fung says, but he does not advocate and announce this enough. In particular:

Personally, I lost the most weight while fasting, got the best blood pressure, etc. Am trying to restart with one 36 hour fast per week, but my weekends have been brutal (house projects) and I’m lifting hard enough that the next day it’s tough to fast. Since I’m lifting twice a week during the workweek, then busting my butt the whole weekend, it’s tough to fast. And the kids are home all the time, so I want to eat dinner with them.

Iodine is like everything else: there’s no good test for it. There’s no way to know how much is good and how much is bad. There’s no way to know how much you’re currently getting and how much of what you’re getting is absorbed.

I read this book:

That’s what got me started taking high doses of iodine, which I think I overdid. As with everything, too much is bad.

I also don’t think the test they advocate (taking a dose of iodine, then gathering all your urine to see how much you are peeing out) is valid. It’s based on what they think people in certain culture ate and their corresponding level of body iodine. But who is to say that’s necessary or valid?

(Anthony) #25

At the time I thought I was eating sufficiently on my feeding days, consuming the normal amount of calories I had been or slightly more (10-20%) which seems in line with what that was suggested. They were just restricted for long enough before I tried fasting that they were my normal. If you’ve whittled your TDEE down to 1800 calories that’s 12600 a week. If you fast for 3 days that brings you down to 7200, even over eating 20% on feeding days only brings you up to 8640. I would just suggest to be aware when when making changes incrementally over time you can end up somewhere much further away from where you started than you think.

Certainly some people do have vitamin and mineral deficiencies and in a restrictive (repetitive) diet they’d be more likely to manifest. I know after watching these “signs you’re low in” videos I frequently thought I had those symptoms myself and would try supplementing the vitamin/mineral of the day. I don’t think it can really do any damage in reasonable quantities and continue to take some of them though I never experienced notable changes. Not all the “signs you’re low in” videos are direct over lap but some of the signs rhyme. I do encourage everyone to try things though, it’s the only way to find out what works for you.

My stall does not concern me in the least. Since beginning Keto which was 2 years ago. I was in very bad shape. I knew it was going to be a long, long road for me. I decide to do Keto not for the weight loss, but to save my life. I watched Ken Berry and a few others. I’m now a huge fan of Dr. Cywes. My Keto journey has never been about the weight. I’m letting my body heal and it’s doing a wonderful job of doing just that. It took me 60 years to get to the 326lbs I was at with dangerous high blood pressure and borderline diabetic. Plus my body physically was failing. I’m in better condition physically and mentally than I’ve been in 30 years. I’m currently carnivore and I do the fasting thing also. I’m sure my body knows what it’s doing. So I’m good :+1:t2::blush:

When I looked him up it said he is a bariatric surgeon?

Yes, but he also counsels people on how to do Keto. He’s been studying and has himself been on Keto for years and does Keto educational videos on YouTube.He calls himself the “Keto Doc”. I’ve learned so much from him. He’s a no nonsense kind of doctor.

(Robin) #29

Hey, Elliot, What brand do you use?

Sorry for not replying sooner :pray:
I’m using J crows lugols 2% at 3 drops in the morning. I add the drops to my unsweetened tea. I recommend putting it in your morning drink and eating a little something with it.
I drank it one morning on an empty stomach and it gave me a little nausea.
This has improved my body’s heat controlling efficiency (I’m much less chilly)
It’s also given me so much energy also.
No side effects except that one time of nausea on an empty stomach.

(Robin) #31

Thanks! I’ve ordered it.

Your welcome :pray:
I hope it helps you as much as it has me :blush: