Lowest Carb HWC

(Dom DePlume) #21

We all do them, we all have them, most of us will do them again :slight_smile: Just 20g or less, no actual sugar, and KCKO :slight_smile:

(Dom DePlume) #22

Oh, and hey, if you have an open-to-the-public restaurant supply store, go check them for HWC, butter, cream cheese, etc. I often get a HALF GALLON of 40% HWC at my local for about $9. Try and find out where local small coffee shops get their stuff. Thatā€™ll also help you save $$. HWC lasts forever in the fridge anywayā€¦

(Laurel Harrington) #23

:astonished: I am DEFINITELY going to check. Holy moly! HWC is the treat I look forward to all day long :yum: So I go through it pretty quick.

(Brian) #24

Dang, thatā€™s a great price!! Would love to find a supplier close to me that would do something similar, especially if they had organic. (I know, some probably think itā€™s a waste. But I stress less over itā€¦)

(Roy D) #25

Half and Half

• 12% fat (range 10.5-18%)
  • In the United States, half and half is a mix of 1/2 whole milk and Ā½ cream, typically used as a cream in coffee. Half-and-half does not whip, but it can be used in place of whipping (heavy) cream in many recipes for less fat cooking.

Single Cream

• 20% Fat Content
  • Cream with a low fat-content, which does not thicken when beaten. Used in both sweet and savory dishes. Also know as light cream.

Light Cream

• 20% fat (range 18-30%)
  • Pretty much the same as half and half. Also know as coffee cream or table cream. Will whip if it contains 30% butterfat but will not be very stable. Generally contains only 20% butterfat. Also know as single cream. Light cream is not available everywhere.

Whipping Cream

• 30% Fat Content
  • Cream with enough butterfat in it to allow it to thicken when whipped. Does not whip as well as heavy cream but works well for toppings and fillings.
  • Almost all whipping cream is now ultra-pasteurized, a process of heating that considerably extends its shelf life by killing bacteria and enzymes.

Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream

• 36 to 38% Fat Content
  • This cream whips denser than whipping cream. Whips up well and holds its shape. Doubles in volume when whipped.

Double Cream

• 48%
  • Double cream is the British term for heavy or whipping cream in the United States, but it is a little thicker than our whipping cream. It contains about 48% butterfat.
  • Double cream is so rich, in fact, that it is easy to over whip it and get it too thick.

Clotted Cream

• 55 to 60%
  • Also know as Devonshire or Devon Cream. It is a thick, rich, yellowish cream with a scalded or cooked flavor that is made by heating unpasteurized milk until a thick layer of cream sit on top. The milk is cooled and the layer of cream is skimmed off.
  • Traditionally served with tea and scones in England.

Ref https://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/CreamDefinitions.htm

(Jane Hull) #26

So you guys got me thinking. (Way too much about whipping cream!) My favorite is on the left and just says Fresh Whipping Cream 6g fat, ing: Cream, Milk. The one on the right my husband bought at Aldi. It says Heavy Whipping Cream but has less fat 5g and has added ingredients including carrageenan. So I guess itā€™s heavy because of the added ingredients! I like my favorite more now.

(Sheryl Fisher) #27

I LOVE the thick layer of heavy cream at the top of the containerā€¦ delicious in coffee!!!

Thereā€™s a relatively simple way to lower the carbs in your cream. Make creme fraiche and let the bacteria eat the sugar. I let mine go for 48 hours to make sure as much lactose as possible is consumed. It wonā€™t be liquid anymore, but you canā€™t win them all.

(Ron) #29

And then when you consume the bacteria are you not still consuming the sugars anyways?

If someone ate you, would they be comsuming all the sugar you ever ate?

(Ron) #31

They would if I didnā€™t expel it out first. Does bacteria have that ability?
I am not being critical but am actually trying to understand this as how to eliminate the carbs in cream. :thinking:

The bacteria are much better sugar burners than we are. They digest it into lactic acid, which is what gives foods like yogurt and creme fraiche their sour tang and also makes them thicken. If you let yogurt ferment for a full 24 hours and creme fraiche for about 48, there will be only trace amounts of sugar left.

(Aimee Moisa) #33

I hate to say this but the only thing I really miss on keto is milk. I donā€™t miss bread, I donā€™t miss pasta, I donā€™t even miss tacos. All I miss is a nice tall glass of milk. Whole milk of course. :frowning:

(Dom DePlume) #34

For me, thatā€™s fixed with 1fl oz whipping cream blended into 8oz of ice cold water. Blending it helpsā€¦

(Aimee Moisa) #35

I gotta get a new blender, I keep hearing about these awesome things you can achieve blending things together, like bulletproof coffee and now this.

(Dom DePlume) #36

You just need to be a bit careful and add HWC in at the last second for a pulse or two, just to blend. The fat in HWC wants to whip into whipped cream, and starts to thicken and foam (less so with really hot beverages).

Helpful vegans. get rid of HWC all together.

Thinking of going Carnivorish (meat, cheese, and cream)
(Carnivore for the win) #38

I make whipped coconut cream for an occasional treat. Itā€™s delicious, if you like coconut. Just have to start with the proper coconut cream and make sure itā€™s chilled in the fridge for a day or two.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #39

pure heavy cream with a touch of carrageenan added has quite a few carbs but I do drink the stuff by the pint because why not.