Lowest Carb HWC

(Laurel Harrington) #1

I have just discovered that the brand of heavy whipping cream I drank this morning has considerably more carbs than other brands. The label looks the same in side by side comparison but once I added my extra servings, the carbs added up to double or more than some other brands.

Any suggestions for low carb HWC?

(Felicity ) #2

I have done this. I cut my evening vege out to compensate. I now read everything regardless of whether or not the packaging is familiar.

(Steve) #3

Here in Canada, we have Lactantia 35% HWC thatā€™s 0 carbs per tablespoon. Not sure if that brand is available in other countries or not. The parent company is Parmalat - http://www.parmalat.com/en/
In the US, it appears the only products they offer are cheeses. (will undoubtedly vary around the world).

(Ron) #4

Iā€™m in the northwest and your in the southwest so you might be able to find this easily. It is what I use.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

This just goes to show how you have to read every label.

I got to the checkout the other day and saw the shredded mozerella I was buying had 2g of carbs per serving. I set them aside and had to go back again to find one with less.

Itā€™s easy to do, especially if weve used the food before and begin to think of it as Keto friendly in general, so we arenā€™t as diligent on checking the labels.

(Troy) #6

YesšŸ˜

And this HWC does NOT include Carrageenan ( extracted from red seaweed ):flushed:

Many other HWC doā€¦like I am talking to you my BFFā€¦Redi Canned WhipšŸ˜“

Studies show Carrageenan can be linked to inflammation

(Laurel Harrington) #7

Wow, thank you for this information. Are there other ingredients I should be wary of?

(Lonnie Hedley) #8

Best to just find one with the least ingredients possible.

(Sheryl Fisher) #9

I live in Northern Virginia and do most of my grocery shopping at the Fort Belvoir commissary. I have found Dairy Maid Dairy Heavy Whipping Cream there, quite by accident, but it is the BEST! 40% Butterfat and 0 carbs.

(Brian) #10

Unless there is something added to it, HWC is HWC is HWC. BRAND names are meaningless. Most of them will manipulate the serving size such that they can say ā€œzero carbsā€ and be legal saying it. But HWC has some carbs, there is no magic. A cup is going to have somewhere between 6g and 7g of carbs. It can vary slightly depending on the actual fat content, but it is gonna have carbs. Telling yourself otherwise is just fooling yourself. Sorry.

(Aimee Moisa) #11

Trader Joeā€™s has a Heavy Cream (not HWC) and it has no carbs listed on the label.

(Jane Hull) #12

Iā€™m in the Midwest and we found Hiland dairy in a little jug has just cream. It even has the thick fat on the top when you open it. But their HWC in the carton has carrageenan in it.

(Omar) #13

The brand I use says 4% carbs but it taste more than that.

I have seen very liquid HWC and also there are brands which are more paste like where you have to squeeze the hard paper container to make the HWC flows out.

This is the same one I use (Organic Valley), or if I know Iā€™ll be going through a lot of it, I spring for the Kalona Supernatural stuff (comes in quarts). I love how they both have a layer of thickened cream (paste, almost) right under the cap when you open them. Yum!

(Ron) #15

I totally agree!:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

(karen) #16

The way they get away with this is by using such a small serving size (maybe 1T) that the amount of carb is less than .5 grams, in which case they can call it 0. The actual cream does have some carbs in it ā€¦ unless itā€™s butter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Dom DePlume) #17

Here we go again with this golden oldie. Like @Bellyman said, HWC is HWC. Itā€™s more important to know if itā€™s 30%, 35%, 40%, or 45% cream. The higher the cream fat, the lower the compounded carbs. Sometimes, dairy processors will literally water down a 60% ā€œdouble creamā€ to 40% to get that ā€œzero carbā€ on the label. No matter, if you use enough of it, itā€™ll add carbs in much the same way cheeseā€“or any other dairyā€“will. And if youā€™re buying HWC that has any other ingredient in it, youā€™re doing it wrongā€¦

(Laurel Harrington) #18

Yes, Iā€™m aware of that. Most brands Iā€™ve tried were fine. There was just one brand (Iā€™ve forgotten which one now) that listed approximately the same nutritional percentages and ingredients as all the other brands but when I got home and delved deeper, I discovered ā€œhiddenā€ carbohydrates. I am hoping to avoid making the same mistake in the future, as I am on an extremely limited budget and cannot afford to make such mistakes.

(Dom DePlume) #19

Yeah, budget smart is a true thing. Iā€™ve made similar mistakesā€¦

(Laurel Harrington) #20

This is what I love about this forum. Thanks to everyone here, my discomfort and newbie mistakes have really been minimal.