Low hematrocrit and hemoglobin readings w/ Keto Mojo

(Smith) #1

I really don’t know where this post belongs, so apologies in advance if this isn’t the appropriate sub-forum.

Lately I’ve been measuring my blood glucose fanatically to see the effects of specific foods. I use Keto Mojo, which also includes hematocrit and hemoglobin, but it states that these values may not be completely reliable, so I’m not sure how much stock to put in them.

Long story short, my hematocrit and hemoglobin values have been trending downwards, but I’m not sure if I should draw any conclusions from that based on potential inaccuracies in the Keto Mojo device. To compound the confusion, the numbers can shift somewhat dramatically throughout the day: hematocrit generally ranges between 32 to 42%, while hemoglobin tends to fall between 11 and 14.5.

Anyone else encounter anything similar?

1 - Should I assume these results are valid?

2 - If so, what might be causing my low numbers, which are signs of anemia?

3 - Is it normal (or even possible) for hematocrit and hemoglobin to fluctuate significantly throughout the day?

Thanks.

('Jackie P') #2

Hi! I work in a hospital setting and the hb and haematocrit readings can fluctuate depending on your level of hydration.
The haemoglobin is the oxygen carrying part of your blood (red cells) and the haematocrit is a measure of the solid matter in the blood - predominantly red cells, white and platelets - as a percentage.
We don’t usually measure them obsessively in hospital unless someone is bleeding and having blood transfusions. If someones hb has suddenly dropped and the haematocrit is low we usually say it is dilutional, for example if somenone has had a litre or two of intravenous fluids. Conversely if both are raised it would be a marker of dehydration.
I hope this is clear as mud!

Thank you so much for both the initial post and reply! :slight_smile: I’ve also been using the Keto-Mojo glucometer and getting the hematocrit and hemaglobin and worry about them has been nagging at me. My hematocrit has been ranging over many days from 30% to 53% and hemoglobin from 10.2 to 18. It makes sense that it varies by hydration which, in my case can vary wildly from day to day and within a given day.

(Smith) #4

Thanks, Jacqueline - much appreciated! I’ll definitely pay attention a bit more to hydration and see what kind of an impact it has. Is there a point at which you would start to become concerned, or is the type of fluctuation I’ve described “normal”?

(Smith) #5

Glad I’m not the only one! Consistent hydration is definitely an issue for me, too.

(Britt) #6

Hi smithmcgee,

I too use the keto mojo. My levels fluctuate throughout the day as well and depend on my level of hydration. My highest has been 50% and I assume was due to dehydration since it was first thing in the morning but my norm is between 30-40% and varied throughout the day and is mostly within the normal range. My Hb also varies and is usually between 11-15 throughout the day and I usually test three times daily. I looked up the normal ranges for both hb and he before I started using the device. Hb 12-15.5 women/13.5-17.5 men and Hct 37-48% women/45-52%men.

Hope this helps!:grin:

('Jackie P') #7

Its normal! Too high drink more! Only really goes too low if you bleed!
If, however you notice a gradual and persistent downward trend over time it could be a sign of a chronic bleed somewhere in your body, and might be a useful indicator of chronic disease.
But dont stress about any of the numbers and fluctuations you are seeing.

Me too! This forum and other resources have been so helpful. Keto is so contrary to the conventional wisdom that it can be hard to get support from my local people.

Persistent trend over time is so key because there is so much fluctuation and random noise. Most everything isn’t a lightning strike type of emergency.

(Smith) #9

Thanks, Jacqueline.

(Jane) #10

Well I never paid any attention to the fact that my Keto Mojo reports those other blood numbers. I turned mine on and cycled through the saved results and there they were!

Thanks.