Low-carbohydrate diets differing in carbohydrate restriction improve cardiometabolic and anthropometric markers in healthy adults: A randomised clinical trial

(Cheryl Meyers) #1

This study is out: https://peerj.com/articles/6273/?fbclid=IwAR2HSrrp-EkYvCDRNTohE71aAV2S6ykAlYn3th524lcdMEbSGg2cm63taAU

by these fine people:

Author Contributions

Cliff J. d. C. Harvey conceived and designed the experiments, performed the experiments, analysed the data, prepared figures and/or tables, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

Grant M. Schofield conceived and designed the experiments, prepared figures and/or tables, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

Caryn Zinn conceived and designed the experiments, prepared figures and/or tables, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

Simon J. Thornley conceived and designed the experiments, analysed the data, prepared figures and/or tables, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

Catherine Crofts conceived and designed the experiments, performed the experiments, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

Fabrice L. R. Merien performed the experiments, analysed the data, contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools, authored or reviewed drafts of the paper, approved the final draft.

(Janelle) #2

The study ended up having 39 healthy people complete it over 12 weeks? I’m kind of surprised that such a small sample even gets published but it’s interesting anyway.

(Alex) #3

it is interesting… but i do have to say that i would have been a lot more interested had the sample size been significant. 39 people only lol, kind of disappointing

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

It would indeed have been better to have more participants, but there have been plenty of studies published with n = 6 or 8, so for nutrition research n = 39 is pretty good.

I’ll have to spend some time with this study before I’ll have absorbed the details, but (a) I’m amazed they got this through the peer review process, and (b) it’s a little humorous that their definition of extreme low carbohydrate is under 50 g/day. Around here, that looks like so much! It would also be nice to know the carb levels of the groups. Admittedly I was only skimming, but I couldn’t spot where they mentioned it.