Low Carb "Flours"

(Jess) #1

What are some tried and true flours that don’t break the bank? I think we would mostly be using it for “breading” chicken. We have tried coconut flour and that did not go too well. Almond flour is out-hubby can’t have nuts (and I have yet to see reasonably priced almond flour).

(TJ Borden) #2

For breading chicken? Ground up pork rinds. Zero carb and delicious.

For baking I use course almond flour

(Allie) #3

Shame the almond is out as that’s the best I’ve found. Some people swear by crushed pork rinds.

This afternoon I’ve made a mix of almond flour, Parmesan, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika - coated the wings in mayo first then “breaded” them. Hope it works OK, not for me though, it’s for my man.

(Pete) #4

You are aware that almonds are not nuts, correct? We have nut allergies in our family (esp walnuts), but almonds are not a problem.

(Jess) #5

Didn’t even think of the pork rinds. Thanks for that tip!Almond flour is out-he’s allergic.

(Karl) #6

Be careful with deep-frying when using pork rinds as a breading. The coating won’t really turn brown the way bread crumb breading does under hot oil. That said, it works really well. My kids actually prefer the pork rind breading :slight_smile:

(Brian) #7

I’ve used grated parmesan cheese along with some seasonings and coconut flour all mixed up. Did pretty well as a combination where just coconut wouldn’t have.

Don’t know if ground chia seeds would make a good breading or not. Or sunflower seeds. (Ground up, that is.)

(Jess) #8

Yes. He still has an allergy to peanuts and almonds.

And mix the pork rinds with parmesan if you’re fancy!

(Allie) #10

I’m wondering how well ground flax seeds would work?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

Chicken breading is done nicely with pork rinds crushed to oblivion or Parmesan. Dana Carpenter’s Heroin Wings would be an example of parm.

(matt ) #12

Pork rinds are the best breading.

(Jess) #13

Awesome!

KetoConnect did a taste test of several different crunchy chicken coatings and baked with pork rinds was their favorite.

Also, that “honey” mustard looks really good!

(Jay Patten) #16

Ground up pork rinds!

I make chicken strips, smother them in hot wing sauce and serve them a tangy mayo-based dipping sauce (mayo, mustard and a splash of vinegar).

So good it’ll make you wanna slap yo’ mama!

I agree with all the posters using pork rinds and parm. However, I’ve seen a few recipes with psyllium husks as well. Dunno how you feel about that, and I’ve never actually done it because I love the pork rind crusts, but it’s an option.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

Given the potential for excess fiber to be deleterious to gut health, I would be reluctant to use psyllium husks, as they are pure fiber.

(matt ) #19

Psyllium is useful for dough and such (in limited amounts) but its unique taste and texture seem to make it a bad candidate for breading. But is someone has done this please share your opinion.

(Troy) #20

@matt those look to perfect ! :wink:
And good!

Look Like a pic from the front of a box of kraft “shake n bake breading”
That’s a compliment :grinning:

I

How did you prepare or bind the coating?
Eggs?

Thanks