Low carb doctor

(Vladaar Malane) #1

Hey hey…

So after my doctor recommended I use Staten for my cholesterol I searched for a low carb doctor. I mean my old doctor might have legitimate reasons for that recommendation but he is obese himself and self admits to me he knows nothing on nutrition.

I found a doctor in Virginia with Google low carb doctor. Met her today and found out she trained with Dr. Jason Fung and had dinner with Dave Feldman. Holy cow am I blessed to find such a knowledgeable doctor. Well worth traveling a little more for a quality doctor.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I think I actually just fell off the turnip truck! :sunglasses:

Good for you!

Richmond by any Chance? I feel I got a good doc that’s into my insanity but always looking.

(Tracy) #4

My doctor said anything over 200 you go on a statin. That’s when I realized they just go down a flow cart and whatever the guidelines say, that’s what they do.

I would have corrected him, Anything over 200 and you WANT me to go on a statin! My 2nd to last cholesterol test I think I was at 230 or so, this one came in a friggen 120! Without a statin… Imagine that? Gotta get it back up!

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Lucky you. A low carb doc is hard to find, getting better every year, but still tricky.

(Vladaar Malane) #7

Gordonsville

Dr. Varney is her name for Virginians.

(Jane) #8

Excellent!

Tad too far for me, although it’s fun getting off 64 up there and driving on the wrong side of the road for a while LOL.

(Tracy) #10

Unfortunately, I just did what any doctor told me until I was about 40. It wasn’t until then I started questioning everything.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

He’s not up to date on his standard of care. Whereas LDL levels of 200 used to be considered perfectly normal, the statin manufacturers are now saying that anyone with LDL over 130 should be taking a statin. :scream:

Well at least that’s only what? 90% of people? I’ve never subscribed to the anti Big Pharma wagon because I can’t ignore all the good they do, but their sleazy used car salesmen ring that they have needs to be dealt with.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

One doctor has actually suggested putting statins in the public water supply.

(I wonder whether he works for a pharmaceutical company or a water bottler, lol!)

(bulkbiker) #14

Wasn’t that Prof Sir Rory Collins… statinator in chief?

The guy who says there are no side effects to statins but has a large investment n a company that predicts statin side effects…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

I don’t believe it was Sir Rory, but rather one of his henchpeople.

(bulkbiker) #16

You’re quite right it was the aptly named John Reckless

(Jane) #17

Makes me glad I am on my own well water with no big ag or industry nearby to contaminate the aquifer I pull from

(Jack Bennett) #18

And if you choose not to? This ain’t the 1950s any more, doc. Patients have options and are better educated than ever before.

This kind of attitude from doctors is outdated. I want a doctor to be a trusted advisor and helper, not someone who issues orders.

(Jane) #19

My Mom hated doctors with good reason so I inherited her attitude and paid them no mind.

I am 61 and take no meds. Healthy thanks to keto. Nobody can force me to swallow a pill as long as I have sovereignty over my own home.

(Tracy) #20

I regret just doing what I was told. When I was in my early 30’s I didn’t have the life lessons I have now. I’m going to not beat myself up for not knowing what I didn’t know and just move forward and be my own advocate.