Low Carb Denver 2019 - Dr. Michael Eades - Processed foods and more

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

Dr. Eades covers a lot of ground on the effect of processing foods and the body’s response. He also covers when to eat your carbs in your meals. This brings together some nuance to eating and the body’s response to what and when you eat the components of your meals.

Dr. Michael Eades - ‘Incretins, Insulin, and Food Quality’

This has me thinking more about Dr. Bikman’s discussions about protein and insulin glucagon ratio.

When I eat some carbs at lunch (olives, small salad) I eat the carb foods first before my protein which is typically ground beef or fatty fish or both. Now I will either just give up even more carbs or eat any of the carb foods last.

For those of us that are significantly along on the WOL, Dr. Eades covers some significant nuance that can explain subtle progress or lack of progress. Also, he delivers this info quickly and for me in a way that was easy to grasp.

(Bob M) #2

If you’ve seen anything by Gabor Erdosi, he goes through a ton of info like this. His “hobby” is looking at how eating order and processing of food affects us. Eating slower he says does work. If you want to eat carbs, you want to eat meat or veggies first, then carbs. Of course, you could also add some apple cider vinegar too, which can help blunt the peak.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Dr. Eades also mentioned Gabor’s contributions. I think I need to listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TmU2Ccj4bE

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Don’t forget the lack of insulin response to IV glucose, as compared to the response to dietary glucose. So it appears that you could have all the carbohydrate you want, as long as you don’t eat it, lol!

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

You won the internet today, PaulL :joy::joy::joy:

Thanks for this Eric - I really enjoyed it and learned some stuff.

I can’t wait for Protein Power 2.0, so glad to know that the Eades are publishing it!!!

“The more the structural integrity/stability of plant foods is disrupted, the greater the incretin response you’re going to have. And that’s a bad thing for processed foods.”

This answered my wondering about how if adding fiber like psyllium is beneficial - but he made it clear that it’s the structural stability of the cells - and that further affirms the simplicity and beauty of biological design.

“There’s a huge difference in the work output today - wrangling tabs is very different than wrangling cattle.” For sure!

Carbs last is a good rule - esp with simple carbs that are non-fibrous, as Dr. Eades summarized at the end. I will keep this in mind, and when I go to a special event next week that will involve homemade tortilla chips, I will have my protein first!!!