Low Carb Craft Beer

(Jim) #1

There has been some discussion in the Michelob thread but it’s clear that there are two different conversations going on.

Craft beer seems to be beginning to embrace low carbs. Dogfish Head announced new low carb IPA, Slightly Mighty, which should be debuting in stores next month.

Also, yesterday I discovered that Lagunitas has revised their session IPA recipe to lower the carbs to 3g per 12oz can for their Daytime IPA. I tried Daytime last night. And while it isn’t a great IPA, it was nice to have two while watching basketball last night. Still, I’m hoping the Dogfish Head one is much better.

As for ketosis, I did a pee strip before bed, about a half hour after I finished the second beer, and it was still firmly purple. I did a blood test this morning and it read 4.7. So I don’t think the beers had any negative effect.

(Patrick Belair) #2

I now usually go for a Brut IPA.
From what I understand they are very low in carbs and have more taste to what I have available in my region label as “low carb” such as the Sleeman 2.0 (https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sleeman-clear-2-0/328650/).

Below are my favorites available locally.
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/le-castor-houblon-brut/665693/
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/monsregius-ipa-cuvee-extra-brut/648012/
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/charlevoix-double-ipa-brut-ale/658282/

(Jim) #3

I haven’t like the brut IPAs I’ve tried. But that was pre-keto. Perhaps I’ll be more tolerant of them now. It’s hard to get carb info on these beers though.

(Jim) #4

Onmegang Brut IPA has 4g of carbs per 12oz bottle. I haven’t tried it yet, but I just picked some up and will try it during the basketball games tonight.

(Jim) #5

The Ommegang Brut has much better flavor than the Lagunitas, but the champagne-like carbonation is really not my thing. Much better hop flavor though.

(Brittany Allen) #6

Thanks for sharing!! We must live close. I think I’ll go check out that low carb Lagunitas IPA this weekend. Hope they have it on tap. I wouldn’t be surprised if it still stunted weight loss for me tho… All alcohol seems to

(Jim) #7

The Lagunitas Daytime IPA is still out there on shelves in its old recipe. And that recipe is 10g of carbs per bottle. So be careful. But it’s pretty easy to tell from what I’ve been told. The old recipe is in bottles and the new recipe is in cans. The cans have a bent nail as the graphic on the can. I have to say I much preferred the Ommegang Brut IPA. I didn’t like the champagney bubbles but I got used to it.

So long as I’ve kept my overall carbs under 20g, I’ve stayed in ketosis using a blood monitor.

(Mandy) #8

Omission, a company making gluten free beer, has one called ultimate light. It comes in at 5g per 12oz bottle and is a really good light beer IMHO. It has a tinge of hop flavor. I love a great IPA but I can’t really waste 15 carbs for a bottle too often.

(Jim) #9

Well that’s the point. There are currently two decent IPAs on the market under 4g of carbs and a Dogfish Head one on the way.

(Mandy) #10

They make good beer… I’ll be interested to see if the low carb product follows suit.

(Brittany Allen) #11

Woooo feels good to drink a beer again. Haha

(Jim) #12

Word of caution: my ketones spiked after just having a few of those. From what I’ve been able to tell the alcohol can lead to deeper ketosis but it will stall weight loss. Weight loss isn’t my goal so I’m not overly concerned. But I do worry that it may delay me reaching fat adaptation.

(Jim) #13

I’ve been able raise my carbs on a daily basis to 50g and still stay in ketosis. As a result, I’ve been budgeting my carbs to allows for a few real craft beers on the weekends. I’ve got to say they just don’t taste as good in ketosis. I’m not sure if it’s the acetone, but it’s pribably a good thing they aren’t as tasty to me. But I am missing that simple pleasure.

(Linda Kaufman) #14

Um, I didn’t even know you could plan a beer with keto. Um… Thank you for the information

(Jim) #15

Pretty good. Between this and Lagunitas Daytime, we’re starting to get some good low carb options.

(Jon) #16

What I’d like to know is how to make a good homebrew with little carbs.

One strategy is to completely ferment out everything.
Other strategy is to be really tight with temperature for complete sugar breakdown.

(Scott) #17

They were having a phased roll out on this and my state wasn’t in the first batch. Time to recheck!

(Jim) #18

I think the sweetener is going to be the biggest issue. The Dogfish Head brew uses monk fruit for the sweetener.