Low blood glucose after a meal

(Phoenix) #1

After 9 weeks of Keto, and having read Keto Clarity, I’ve finally made the decision to buy a Freestyle Optium Glucose and Ketone Meter, and I’m so glad I did.
I’ve been guessing that I’m in nutritional ketosis over the last 4 weeks because I’ve hardly ever felt hungry, no cravings and most of all no desire to binge!! This is such a huge relief for me as my binging was getting out of hand over the last 2 years, hence I started on the LCHF journey.

I’ve been testing over the last 3 days, and my BG at fasted state is around 4.7mmol/L, and Ketone aside from the first day at 4.6, the last two days have been at 3.

The question I have is about BG after eating. On the first day I tested, my BG before dinner was at 5mmol/L, then at T30 it dropped all the way down to 3.6, it then came back up to 4.4 at T60, and to 5.6 at T120.
The dinner I had that night was basically bacon and eggs with coconut oil, so very little carb content.

This drop in BG hasn’t happened in the last two days because I haven’t had the same meal.
Should I be worried about this drop?

Other foods, apart from carbs, can be insulinogenic. Protein and sweet tastes, even in the absence of carbs, can induce insulin secretion. I get that effect just with adding artificial sweetener to my food…somehow, it tricks my body in thinking sugar is on it’s way to my stomach.

I don’t think this should worry you, unless it is preventing you from reaching your goals, whatever they may be.