Lots of questions

I’m new to this forum but not to this way of eating but I am confused with weights and your science. I have been eating fat and protein but very little carbs and it seems to me I have been doing things wrong.

What are macros?
How do you know how many grams of carbs, fat protein you have per meal?
Will you automatically go into ketosis?

Jotes.............................

(Eric) #2

Macros are macronutrients ex. Fat, protein and carbs.
Just keep your carb count under 20 grams, some people keep net carbs under 20 some keep total carbs under 20. Just do what works best for you! Plan on no carbs and just get carbs from leafy greens veggies like spinach, cabbage, Chard, broccoli, brussel sprouts and broccoli.
Moderate amount of protein just enough for what your body needs. Eat to satiety using fat.

Following that you will automatically go into ketosis.
Just make sure to keep well hydrated and get enough salt potassium and magnesium. Eating ketoginicaly will flush your system of water and electrolytes.

Just keep calm and keto on!

Thanks Eric, carbs aren’t a problem because I do what you suggest. Protein and fat is different. How do you eat fat without protein and how do you know percentages. For example I have strips of belly pork for breakfast how much fat and protein do I eat. I don’t have any difficulty with this way of eating, I just want to make sure I get it right.

If you need to eat more fat what are the best things to have without increasing your protein intake.

(Olivia) #5

Try switching to fattier cuts of meat, which have a lower protein p (g) to fat f (g) ratio (p/f) and buy some nice fatty fish. For example replace chicken breast (p/f=11.5) with chicken thighs (p/f=3) or choose pork neck (p/f=1.2) over pork filet (p/f=5). The easiest way is to choose the higher calorie option when comparing raw meats (this is even easier if the nutritional information is normalized to 100g, which is mandatory in the EU).
If you are feeling overwhelmed, try sticking to a few staples such as ground beef (buy the one with the lowest lean meat percentage), bacon, salmon, mackerel and olive oil packed tuna. You can gradually increase your repertoire with time an experience.
You can also start making salads with avocado, olives, parmesan, feta cheese, nuts (easy to overeat) and dark green veggies along with a nice olive oil based vinaigrette.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Cook with tallow, lard, bacon fat, or butter, and use butter as a sauce on your meat. Put high-fat salad dressings on your salad (bleu cheese, yum!) and make cheese sauce for your broccoli and cauliflower. Parboil your Brussels sprouts and then saute them in tallow, lard, bacon fat, or butter, and put cheese sauce on them—they’re delicious that way. Cook bacon, eat it, and drink the bacon fat (once it cools, of course!). There are lots of ways to eat fat while keeping protein moderate. :bacon: