Lost Water Weight But Starting to Go Up Again

(Aya Ravensong) #21

I’m going to try and do only weekly instead of daily. I told my sister to hide the scale and she’s only allowed to give it to me on Sundays. I’ll probably go crazy the first week, but I think it’s better for my mental health to at least bring it down to that.

I bet it will help. Good idea.

(Marianne) #23

This is so true. For years, we underate, ate thing we didn’t like, and exercised to the extreme to move the process along - and it was a battle that most of us lost in the long run. This way is different. I keep telling my husband, “I can’t believe I can eat like this” (really delicious, succulent meals). Trust the process and believe what you read and what people report. Check out the videos on dietdoctor.com. These are learned people talking about the science of it, in laymen’s terms. If you feed your body this way, it will respond with weight loss. You will experience other non-scale benefits as well. Keep us posted.

(Marianne) #24

The scale is a total mind eff, whether it’s up or down. I would find reasons to not be happy with the number either way. Try weighing yourself once a week, or once every two weeks. This is a journey; if you let go of the white knuckle way we used to diet, you will be happier and you will get there.

(Alec) #25

I have given up the scale completely and I am now measuring with 2 things:

1. How I feel: I know when I am going in the right direction. I feel light and energetic with an emptyish stomach feeling.
  2. Whether my normal clothes feel looser, and what hole I am using on my belt.

For me, the daily weigh in was providing too much of an indication of an on or off switch. So I have just removed the addiction to the scale.

Get past it asap.
Otherwise, you cause yourself metabolic damage.
Really, you know exactly what is wrong, you have stated it here repeatedly, you are not eating enough.

If you are unable to get yourself to eat enough, perhaps counselling may be necessary to help you change.

You can’t starve yourself and expect to stay healthy; that’s not a keto diet, that is illness inducing behaviour and you are in eating disorder territory.

KETO IS NOT A STARVATION DIET.

If you are doing keto for weight loss, Jason Fung’s IDM membership site has a section for people wanting to lose weight and you can get informed qualified safe supervision.

(Aya Ravensong) #27

I apologize. I must have misspoken somewhere for you to come to the conclusion that I was starving myself/have an ED. As I stated earlier, it’s merely a matter of being caught up on the notion of “fewer calories=weight loss” the way that most other diet plans and the doctors and nutritionists I have seen in the past have indicated. I mentioned before that it’s a case of me throwing away 15+ years of prior knowledge in order to get into the swing of how keto really works. (Maybe not in those exact words.)

I’ve already received some valuable advice from the prior responses that I’m very grateful for. I’m sure that implementing this new knowledge will get me on track. But, thanks for your input.

No, I apologize.
There is a lot of information on this site and particularly the gui\delines for people new to keto are helpful.
Good luck with your diet and good wishes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

Just a thought for you @AyaRavensong, a pint of water weighs 1 pound, so if you drink a big glass of water your weigh is up a whole pound (until you urinate that is). Nobody’s weight stays stable down to ounces especially. I go up 2-3 lbs sometimes and a week later I’m down 4. So it goes. I would recommend weekly weight in and add that to your app. And watch the trend that develops. Much more useful than weighing in in the morning and seeing yourself up a pound and getting upset. Stay true to your course and don’t try to hit fat macros, use your carbs for broccoli and stuff like that instead of keto treats if you’re doing that.

Many people react to particular artificial sweeteners and not others. You’re going to have to experiment with that and since you’re concerned about leveling off instead of continuing to loose you might try a period without them. One thing about artificial sweeteners is that often they don’t cause a Blood Glucose spike but your insulin is released anyway, and that causes fat storage.

(Aya Ravensong) #30

I will admit, I often forget about the role sugars play outside of their carb content. I’m definitely going to try paying better attention to the artificial sweeteners in the food I choose. In addition to everything else, hopefully that helps set me on track.