Losing weight but not inches

(Adam ) #1

I am new to the forum and think that I am posting in the right place if not let me know. I’ve been on keto since February of 2019 and have lost almost 60lb I have more energy, blood pressure is down and over all feel better than I have in years but I have not dropped any pant sizes or shirt size. I was wanting to know if anyone else had seen this or knows what is going on. It’s a little frustrating not getting I guess what I would call a little victory of needing new clothes or having someone commenting on my weight loss.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

I wouldn’t sweat it. I’m sure those changes in clothing sizes will happen with time. Think about all the good things that have been happening:

• lower blood pressure
  • feeling better
  • 60 lbs lost!

Don’t let it frustrate you. You may wake up one day to slow down on the weight loss only to start reshaping your body composition! :slight_smile: You are doing great!

(Katie) #3

I think it would depend a lot on what size you started.

I started at 194. 60lbs would take me to 134… yeah that would be a huge amount of my total weight and a few pants sizes.

If you started at 394 then 60 lbs might not be a big difference because the loss is overall…not just belly.

Plus…you could lose a couple inches here and there and not have it translate into a difference pant size.

The loss is great! Keep it up…all the rest will follow in time

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

Welcome. I moved the post to Newbies.

I agree, where did you start? Have you noticed any changes in your shape at all?

(Adam ) #5

I started at 398lb and as for changes I don’t see it in the mirror but that’s no surprise as for in the pants they are slightly looser and I mean slightly on my belt I’m not even for sure I lost a spot on it

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

So you’re starting out bigger which means that loss has more surface, also we lose visceral fat (the stuff in our abdomen, in between organs) too which we can’t see. Stay on track. It sounds like you’re having great success with it.

As for nobody noticing I felt like once I was a certain size nobody noticed me much and even as I was losing and I could tell, still people just got used to me and didn’t notice until one day someone at work said, “Hey, skinny. Are you losing weight?” but by then I didn’t care, it was about how good I felt about myself for spending time on getting healthier. My ego liked it but that was short lived.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Another thing to bear in mind. I lost sixty pounds effortlessly and within the first nine months or so, and my weight has been stable ever since. But during the following twelve months I lost a couple of inches more, even though my weight was stable. Give yourself time. Given your starting weight, you should still lose quite a bit more, and you are very likely to see amazing things. As we say, keep calm, and keto on! (KCKO)

Here is some virtual bacon to encourage you: :bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Susan) #8

Welcome to the forum, Adam.

Congrats on your 60 pound loss, that is great. How much weight do you have to lose still? I am asking because I was 293, down to 250 and still mostly wearing the same clothes as well. I have only lost 43 pounds, but I will have 130 or more to go, so I wondered if you are like me, and still have a long way to go until goal.

Your body is losing fat and shifting the inches around somehow, I am sure that in time it will show for you in different clothing =). Keep up the good work.

(Adam ) #9

I’m hoping to 100 to 150 more lbs but we will see where my body says enough I’ve always been the big guy as long as I can remember

(PSackmann) #10

As others have said, if your loss is evenly spread out, it may not translate into an immediate size loss. Celebrate the belt fitting looser, the improvement in blood pressure and increase in energy, the size will come in its own time. KCKO!

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #11

Welcome to the forum, Adam.

I read somewhere to think of fat loss like a paper towel roll. When you’re big, you’re like a full roll. As each piece of paper is removed, it doesn’t make much of a difference in the size of the roll. But as you get smaller and smaller, you are like a halfway used up roll, and each piece makes more and more of a difference in the overall size of the roll. It helped me reconcile my weight loss not showing/changing my pants size. I still have a lot to lose.

I wish I could remember where I read that!

(Susan) #12

I love this, Parker, it is a great analogy!! I will have to remember this one, it is spot on.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #13

I agree, Susan! I feel bad that I can’t attribute it to the original person who came up with it.