Losing body mass / muscles while long distance running on keto

food
exercise
muscles

Dear All,
I have been doing keto for about 4 months and and I am a long distance runner since about 2 to 3 years. Keto has helped me lose tremendously … I am around 124 lbs , very energetic and have very good endurance. I do strength and running throughout the week…some days strength and some days running and weekend is always a long run upwards of 14+ miles.

I also do IF 16-8 and mostly do my exercise early morning fasted.

My main concern is that I have really leaned down and think have been losing muscles on the upper body…Cannot stop the weight from going down…Now my goal is to keep running as I love that, but I don’t want to lose muscles or body mass.

Does anyone here gone through this kind of problem? I am sure there are many athletes and long distance runners who are able to run and also maintain good muscle mass.

Any changes in diet or exercise type or supplements advised for building muscle on keto ?

Thanks,

Running links
(Renee Slaughter) #2

Hello and welcome.
You may want to move this post to the exercise thread. Use the search window at the top. Or check the exercise thread. I’m more than quite sure you will find your answers in that thread.
Best wishes

OF COURSE YOU HAVE!!! Sorry, but you can have muscles or you can do long distance running. You don’t get both. There’s a reason runners are usually very thin. You do keto, strength training, fast, run 14+ miles and your surprised you can’t keep weight/muscle on?

(Todd Allen) #4

Sprints or interval training are better for muscle mass than distance/endurance running. Or shift to do more strength training and cut back on the running. Higher protein, especially whey/BCAAs, helps build muscle.

(Cristian Lopez) #5

Ive recently cut down on my running and made up for it in the weight room

This hence allows me too have alot more muscle and explosive power as I use too run 10 mile races but have olny been doing 1 or 2 mile races now and spend more time lifting than running.

also make sure you eat enough too remain anabolic while you fast.

(Cristian Lopez) #6

What he said ^^^^^

(Tubeman) #7

A agree with @lfod14 that having some muscle and running long distance is gonna be hard, if it’s even possible.

If you want strength, 5 x 5 is a really effective, efficient workout which I can’t recommend enough.

Thank you @justatube @brownfat @KidKeto for your valuable insights and all others for taking time to read and reply to my post :slight_smile: I will incorporate some of them in my routine and update.