Loose Bowels

(Kim) #1

Hello… I am perplexed and really need some solid (no pun intended) advice. I started the beginning of July, and within a few days had constant loose bowels. I have kept track of my macros and calories since day one. I get to the point where I have little energy and am just plain tired, so I have some gluten free pancakes to get some substance in my belly/bowels. I almost give up, and then try something new but nothing seems to be helping. I do not take supplements as of yet, because I am not really sure what to take. I have lost inches, but weirdly enough only a couple of pounds. (I don’t have much to lose, I just want to tighten up). Is Keto just not my thing? Before Keto, I already had been 90% dairy free, no added sugars to anything, and I exercise 1 - 2x a day (weights, biking, running, walking, Pure barre… or just physically active). Is my belly too sensitive? What could it be sensitive to? Fat? Too few carbs? Protein? HELP! (I am thankful I work from home, otherwise, I would have stopped trying long ago!)

(bulkbiker) #2

Are you taking any medication or supplements? (especially magnesium)?

(Kim) #3

No… I take no supplements at all. Just allergy medication.

(Brian) #4

What are you eating or not eating that is different than what you were eating or not eating before having trouble with the looseness?

It sounds like something changed that maybe you have an allergy or intolerance towards, maybe something like lactose?

More info would probably get you better replies. Don’t mean to pry…

(Kim) #5

I agree… I have been trying very hard to figure out what food has been doing it.
I eat an avocado a day, but they were always in my diet.
I had stopped eating meat for 3 years (occasional eating) until March of this year (4 months of eating meat before I started keto)
I ate a TON of vegetables, fruits.
Rarely ate cheese (though now I have it only occasionally)
Eggs, I would eat on the weekend… or a few times a week, now I had been having 7 days a week (I have not had eggs since last Wednesday)
I drink water, and decaf coffee (1 tsp - 1 tbs) heavy cream (this is not unusual, I have in the past)
I hardly ever ate butter and now am eating a lot of it.
Always used olive oil and coconut oil so that hasn’t changed.
Thought it was bacon but I haven’t had bacon since last Wednesday as well.

I had always eaten 5-6 small meals a day. Now I am “fasting”. I eat around noon or 1… and again at dinner time. There are days when I have a snack in the afternoon.
A part of me feels like it’s the “fasting”… It begins after my first meal… around noon :frowning:

Anything else I should list here?

(Brian) #6

That is quite the puzzle.

I didn’t pick up on anything in particular, but that doesn’t mean someone else won’t.

I’d have thought that if you had a batch of questionable eggs, that you’d have seen that clear up pretty quickly after not using them or using a different batch. I have had that happen before. But anymore, I’m quite picky about where I get eggs and rarely even get any at a grocery store. (I’m always out poking around the countryside looking for someone raising chickens on pasture.)

I tend to get butter and cream of the organic variety. I’ve never had any trouble with butter but sometimes cream that’s of questionable quality has given me some mild troubles leaning towards what you describe. But that’s usually pretty short lived for me.

Not to get overly graphic, but when you say “loose”, are you meaning “a little soft but still has a shape” or is it more like “almost totally liquid”? (I hate asking questions like that but… I’m sorry.)

(Kim) #7

Almost totally liquid…

My butter I switched to grass fed…
I don’t use any type of sugar, even fake stuff… I just prefer not to have sugar.

(Duncan Kerridge) #8

What are the gluten free pancakes made with?

(Kim) #9

They are made with organic brown rice flour, potato starch, hazelnut meal, white rice flour, buttermilk, organic evaporated cane juice, (monocalcium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, non gmo corn starch) Cassava starch, salt, natural flavor, xanthan gum.

Now… I know they may not be keto friendly… I just have them to bind me up because they are gluten free, and I have tried to be gluten free. I just mix with water.
And when I have them, I still keep my carb’s at my level…

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

I ask because in the early months if I ever got a bit bunged up I found that eating a few carbs, couple of slices of bread maybe, would loosen me right up. Eating the pancakes may just be continuing your loose cycle.

(Kim) #11

No… I have them for a day or two, and then stop. So… I had them last Thursday and Friday, and then by Sunday I was back to the normal loose stuff… it’s so frustrating!

Could it be autophagy? Fasting can bring on diarrhea from cleaning up body waste. The other reason could be too much protein and not enough fat OR your body trying to get used to that much fat. Keep curious and experimenting!

(Kim) #13

See… I was wondering if it was the fasting! I will look into autophagy… I seem to be okay if I eat more than 2 x a day… but I was told to get into ketosis faster, I should fast??
Thank you… I will read up, and see if I should changes things a little.

(Duncan Kerridge) #14

Those pancakes sound like a lot of carbs? If you’re having those for a couple of days at a time on a regular basis then you’re maybe eating in and out of ketosis and not giving your system a sustained period of time to adapt. I’d drop the pancakes.

Ketosis isn’t a race! Keep trying things. If it works for your body at this moment, great! If not, try something else. You may be able to make ketones more quickly when fasting, but you can’t force your body to adapt more quickly.

(Kim) #16

I agree, and I don’t have them on and off. I had them after a couple of weeks… and then again after another couple of weeks. I can only make it that long before I have to try something. They do have carbs, but I also keep my carbs where they need to be, even having them. (just not the green kind)

(Duncan Kerridge) #17

Can I ask how many carbs you aim for each day? I’m surprised you can have the pancakes and be anywhere near keto levels. Yes, I’m fixated on the pancakes :slightly_smiling_face:

(Kim) #18

You really shouldn’t be… I had them 2x… it’s not like I am out gorging on pancakes. It’s just what I have in my house to try and get my insides to bind up.
I stay at 20gram… and usually I am below that. So, if one day… I go over because I need to “step away from my house”… then I do it.

(Duncan Kerridge) #19

Message received :slightly_smiling_face: Any artificial sweeteners?

(Kim) #20

nope… I eat very clean! (except for those pesky pancakes) lol