Looking for home reusable cholesterol meter

(david a varga) #1

I read all kinds of varying statements about the effect of coconut oil and olive oil and sugar (and alcohol) on HDL, LDL and Triglyceride blood levels. My head is spinning. I’d like to see the effect myself. There are home cholesterol meters one can buy that measure these. Can anyone recommend one that they have used for some time and can report on how accurate they are? I think the true test would be on the same day and time as one gets blood taken by ones PCP, to also do the cholesterol meter test and compare readings.

There’s no meters, only at home blood spot tests.You can just do the real labs yourself when you want to test things, don’t need your PCP for that, but given how in flux our levels are, eating a bunch of stuff and then testing really tells you nothing. An NMR done here and there to see how changes effect you make more sense.

There used to be (pretty sure it’s gone) meter that did a total and the same ol’ guess calculation, but that’s 100% useless, plus IIRC it was like $150-$200, you can get a standard panel done for $50 (I wouldn’t) an NMR still usually averages $75 or so.

(Bob M) #3

I was just reading articles about leptin and many of them mentioned “saturated fat” as causing leptin resistance. But many of them confused triglycerides and “saturated fat”. I’d love to test what happens to trigs after eating saturated fat, since I doubt they are connected.

But as @lfod14 states, most of the time you just need infrequent testing.

(KM) #4

Meters that test for multiple cholesterol levels do exist, but I have no idea if they’re actually accurate at all. This and this for example.

Personally, there is SO much contradictory information about cholesterol out there that I don’t know if it’s worth bothering even if these devices do work. I’m currently reading Peter Attia’s Outlive, and introduced to LP(a) (Which is entirely different from LP(A) :roll_eyes:. ) Yet another subset of cholesterol that’s supposedly a holy grail of CVD risk, that no one tests for.

(Joey) #5

Wow. For only US$62 you get a 5-in-1 handheld meter … “Lipid Profile Meter Total Cholesterol Triglyceride Density Lipoprotein Glucose Blood Sugar Test Analyzer”

If only it included a Snellen chart and IQ test I’d be sold. :wink:

(Bob M) #6

Don’t get too excited. My Lp(a) is around 230 nmol/l, and the reference interval is 75, about 3 times as high. Yet the last CAC score I got was zero.

I think Lp(a) is similar to LDL: everyone thinks these are death-bringers, but the reality is different from the studies.

Edit: my last two tests on 10/13/23 and 3/30/23:

(KM) #7

IIR, LP(a) is an oddly shaped molecule that’s very good at scooping up problematic particles, but because of the shape it’s also more likely to penetrate the epithelium and get stuck, creating a soft plaque, and its prevalence is primarily determined by genetics. Of course, if we can figure out how to keep the epithelium whole and undamaged, this molecule is probably no more of a risk than any other and might even be beneficial if it’s returning problematic lipids to the liver rather than depositing them in arteries.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

This is bogus. “Leptin resistance” is cause by the blocking effect of hyperinsulinaemia on the leptin receptors in the brain. Saturated fat has nothing to do with this.

I prefer the term “leptin blocking,” as being a more accurate description of what’s going on. “Insulin-resistance,” on the other hand is aptly named, because overwhelmed cells actively resist receiving an insulin signal by down-regulating their insulin receptors. In leptin “resistance,” on the other hand, the brain is not trying to avoid a leptin signal, another hormone is blocking it from receiving it.

(Bob) #9

CardioCheck Analyzer has good reviews.

But if I want to test more often than my doctor does, I just use https://ownyourlabs.com/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Even if you believe that cholesterol causes cardiovascular disease, the cure is still to eat in a way that minimises triglycerides and maximises HDL. That’s basically a diet that avoids carbohydrates and contains healthy saturated and monounsaturated fats. (Saturated fat in particular helps to raise HDL levels.)

Also, to get results comparable to the blood tests your doctor would administer, don’t forget to fast 10-12 hours before drawing blood, and avoid any liquids except water until the blood is drawn. Coffee, in particular, seems to mess with the results.

(Mark Rhodes) #11

Dave Feldman told me he uses CardioChek Plus in 2020. "The CardioChek Plus analyzer is a portable, handheld device designed for anyone who wants to be able to do on the spot, lab-accurate testing of the most important blood values. Taking only seconds to provide results, it will provide the most consistent and accurate information available. Monitor your Diabetes, Cholesterol, or Triglycerides with one simple device.

This device is intended for the user who wants the most accurate blood values without having to deal with the hassle and cost of going to a blood testing laboratory and getting a blood draw. It takes testing and monitoring blood values far beyond consumer testing products.

With one fingerstick and tests as low as $4.00, it is a cost-effective way to test and monitor Blood Sugar, Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, and other important values at home or in the doctor’s office.

The CardioChek Plus analyzer is easy to use out of the box, with customer service only a phone call or email away and comes with a one-year factory warranty." . https://ptsdiagnostics.com/cardiochek-plus-analyzer/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Too bad it can’t do insulin, too. (sigh)

I’d love a home test for insulin. . . . :cry:

See, that bothers me. I’ll have to Google around on that one. Even doing my thing with the workout carbs, I still eat more fat (most saturated) than “normal” people and my Leptin pump is still ceased up for sure. Ghrelin? That’s things revved up around the clock! I just stopped taking Semaglutide this week to try to repurpose that money into other stuff, a little afraid there once it all runs it’s course though! Stuff works! Granted with me it doesn’t totally demolish my appetite like some claim, but it brings me from a lunatic to normal, which I can fight with.