Looking for Criticism

(James) #1

Okay so to start off I am 19 years old male, 5’10, and 170lb. I’ve lifted for the past three years and have amassed a pretty nice physique. I recently switched over to a keto diet after consuming nothing but carbs over those 3 years. I’ve been on the keto diet for 7 days and I need some help with the diet plan, here goes:

Supplements: 4 KetoLean Pills, Multivitamin, Fish Oil, Magnesium
Breakfast Keto Coffee:
-2 Tbsp Land o Lakes Butter
-1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-2 Tbsp Kroger Heavy Whipping Cream
-1 Tbsp MCT Oil
-Ground Cinnamon and Pink Salt
Fast Til 2pm

Lunch: 4 eggs
3 pieces of bacon
8 oz of ground beef
Half a Large Haas Avocado
1 cup of spinach
1 Tbsp Sour Cream
Pink Salt
Workout

Dinner: 8oz ground beef
Half a large Haas Avocado
1 cup Broccoli
2 eggs
1 scoop prozein synthesis w/ 1 Tbsp MCT Oil

*Any snacks consumed --> Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Raspberries, Blackberries, Almonds

(Stacy Blanchard) #2

First off, I’m no expert on you so I don’t want to make suggests about your meal plans or your exercise details. I am however a podcast junkie and I feel like I can point you toward experts on Keto sis and exercise. The Ketovangelist podcast host and guest are much more Keto/athletic focused. You should YouTube Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. They both study the effects of Keto on exercise. You can also go to ketogains.com where there are articles and facts you can read.
I wish I would have know about and started this when I was your age. Keep learning so you can have a long healthy life.

(Chris W) #3

I think the most important question is what are your goals first.
Second what is your Body fat level, that will determine if your diet plan is ok or not.

(James) #4

My bad I should have included this, my goal is to lose weight. I currently sit at 12.4% body fat and have lost .5% after just one and a half weeks on this keto plan.

(Rob) #5

There aren’t so many people here really equipped to advise a lean, lifting 19 yr old.

@KidKeto is younger but is lifting and has a surprising amount of keto experience. If only he could spell :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::flushed:

There are several older lifters, who are lean. Check out the Weightlifting sub-forum
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/exercise/lifting
You can see who might be a good model for your goals.

PS ketolean pills look like very expensive crap (if I found the right ones). Might want to test your progress without them. Very little in them beyond a half-decent multi-vitamin + a little DHEA which may have issues for <30yr olds.

(Mark) #6

If you are looking to lean out try narrowing your eating window down to two meals a day with no snacks,just black coffee if you can handle it ,which will extend your overnight fast then have first meal at lunch and then dinner or if you want the keto coffee skip lunch and have nice big dinner, anything you eat will spike your insulin and store fat so by not snacking and only having one or two meals a day your body won’t have as many opportunities to store fat,meal snack meal snack meal snack is a sure fire way to store body fat,just make the meals you do eat satisfying and the fat will keep you satiated between meals

(James) #7

Thank you! I do love black coffee, I just started making the keto coffee for the extra fat and taste. Definitely, going to try cutting out the snacks.

(Jennifer ) #8

Hi James! When I was 23, I trained and played a year as a pro athlete on keto.

If you’re trying to drop weight, fasted workouts could be something to consider once you’re fat-adapted. Give yourself some leeway in your lifting numbers until fat adaption actually happens.

Be prepared, your endurance will likely increase, so be prepared to raise the bar for yourself in that regard. And of course, pay close attention to your electrolytes and your protein intake.

Feel free to ask me anything that’s been on your mind about working out on keto. I’m female, which changes some things, but happy to share my experience.

(Edith) #9

Also, don’t be surprised if your muscles feel like lead for a few or several weeks until your body is adapted to its new fuel source.

(Jay AM) #10

You’ve been given good advice. If you haven’t yet, there is a 5% BF fitness model and ketoer on YouTube named Jason Wittrock who is worth checking out. Another good one is GoodyBeats.

(Cristian Lopez) #11

Let’s just say I type fast…:sweat_smile:

On the KetoLean pills, never heard of them but sound like a scam.

Don’t get me wrong, your free to make your coffee however you want, HOWEVER what your doing is very redundant. You typically do MCT Oil (preferred) or a good Coconut Oil, then a grass fed butter (yup, it matters) OR cream.

To address the low bodyfat and lifting, those of us in the gym regularly and actively putting ON muscle and not just trying to maintain, we do things a little different than many people, gotta remember people in weight loss only mode have a different rule set, no different than in the non keto world.

First, we have a huge advantage in the sense we can burn fat AND build muscle at the same time vs people that are always carbed up BUT we are also at a disadvantage in that we build muscle slower but at the same time don’t have to bulk/cut so for many it’s a wash and you don’t have to fatten up just to take MOST of it back off. In either case there are some things we do different.

First, protein. That scary thing. We still need increased protein just like carb fuelers because you need it to build muscle effectively (key word, effectively) No shortage of people claiming the opposite but they put on their muscle long before they were keto and realistically only maintaining in most cases. Take Whey, most people doing keto are petrified of it, too bad it’s THE BEST when it comes to a muscle building protein, I’m a big fan of blends so you get your bump when you take it then the slower proteins feed your muscles throughout the day. I also take a Casein shake at bedtime. Without the carbs in our diets a lot of the proteins, BCAA’s, creatine etc have a much harder time with absorption which is why as your aware you typically take post-workouts with a juice or just with a fast digesting carb to drive it all into the muscle in the non keto world. A good whey blend pre workout can give you that bump during and after your workout, some C8 chain MCT also does wonders. There IS a balance, everybodys is a little different but since you’ve been lifting if your progress changes you’ll notice it. I’m usually around 150-175g day on lifting days, but If I went that high on rest days, I’d wake up mid morning feeling like my insides are on fire and covered in sweat. So no question on my lifting days I’m putting that protein to good use. Also, strength gains noticeably increased the more I upped the protein. I also take a pre and post workout again, to really give the muscles a lot of help with absorption and nutrients to help them build. I’ve gone at it both ways and after settling on higher quality supplements that give me what I need, the difference is night and day.

Only thing I stick to with supplements is they need to ACTIVELY help push you to a goal, or fix something your deficient in. Must be high quality and I don’t take anything with “proprietary blends”. If they don’t want to tell you what they put in there… RUN! There’s a reason!

(James) #13

I’m very appreciative of it. Jason Wittrock was actually one of the main reasons I decided to switch over to a keto diet. Curious to how long it took him to achieve a body fat as low as he maintains.

(James) #14

Wow, this is very thorough and just what I was looking for. I’m taking the Ketolean pills just for purely experimental reasons and because I can afford them; still deciding on whether they make a difference. I’m just making the keto coffee cause it tastes fantastic and I enjoy making it. Curious to hear your opinion on Creatine while on a keto diet, since I am trying to lose weight I just started cycling off of it because I was tired of holding water weight in my stomach area. Do you cycle on/off or just use it on certain lifting days?

Huge fan of creatine, it’s in both my pre and post workouts and definitely helps up retain some water in the muscles. I (obviously) take the pre pre-workout and my post everyday, still got a ton of stuff in there that helps aid recovery and rebuilding, just minus the caffeine. Only thing I leave out on the off days is the whey blend, but I still take the cassein every night unless my protein is real high that day.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #16

Keto Savage is another great podcast. He’s a young bodybuilder who competes.

(Chris) #17

Skip all of this and fast for breakfast. Add more meat to dinner.

(Chris) #18

What Id give to be 19 and healthy again. Agreed 100% on skipping all that crap. No need to get cute with your meals. Id suggest even just having a real breakfast consisting of protein and fat. No doubt your hormones are cooking right along and have had success in the limited time playing with keto. 7 days is keto infancy. Keep fasted mornings as a tool for when progress haults.

(James) #19

I’ll probably try this all next week, I love experimenting and manipulating the crap out of my diet. Right now I’m just gonna enjoy making this delicious fattened up coffee (till I run out of butter haha). Thanks for the advice!