Looking for a more keto friendly/science oriented forum. am i home?

Woohoo! Thanks!

Hey, that is my fave segment on the podcast! :slight_smile:

(Jane Reed) #9

For more science-backed information you might listen to Jimmy Moore’s podcast, Living La Vida Low Carb. He shares talks given at major conferences, by researchers in the field.

He doesn’t seem to drop any of his old podcasts. You can go back many years and hear the progression of opinions and test results. Most recently, he has shared the talks from Low Carb Vail, Low Carb Breckenridge, and the con in San Diego.

It is hearing these talks that inspires me to stick to nutritional ketosis despite extremely slow weight loss and none of the dramatic changes experienced by others.

(melinda) #10

Welcome Home!

If you have not been there already try Dr. Fung’s website IntensiveDietaryManagement.com
start reading from 2013 and keep going. I found it in March and that led me to here, it changed the way I eat and think. Many of the comments are good as well

(joe churchill ) #12

Loved his low carb conference replays. A lot of them are on YouTube as well.

(carl) #13

Great blog post at http://science.2keto.com

(Stephanie Hanson) #14

You’re definitely in the right place. Anytime I have a scientific question, I search here first. I love this place and really need to spend more time here.

i particularly liked his scientific discrediting of the documentary ‘What the Health’! Funny and super well presented!

nice! i like this breakdown!

thanks so much! i think i just like looking for supportive communities for health but since keto works great for weight loss, i think some folks don’t see the empowerment of the method. like, getting healthy is much more important than getting to a goal weight. AND you can do both.

i think i am still grumpy about being told off for being too science minded.

(Stephanie Hanson) #18

Well to heck with whoever thought being evidence based wasn’t cool. I always want the science. Welcome.

(Ann) #19

Finally, so glad to see what “n=1” is saying! Lol. There are so many new terms thrown around, that my head is swimming. Good oh Webster just doesn’t give a clear picture of some terms. Thanks.

yeah i really couldn’t understand their resistance to science and research. like it was giving their weight loss bad mojo by saying look at the science!

(Doug) #21

[quote=“Ann1, post:19, topic:16062”]
There are so many new terms thrown around, that my head is swimming. Good oh Webster just doesn’t give a clear picture of some terms.[/quote]

Ann, I’ve really been impressed with the amount of knowledge present on this forum. Yes - there’s a lot to learn and understand, a vast ocean, really, of nutrition science and biochemistry. It’s taking me a while to get a handle on the basic stuff (some of which is contrary to what has been pounded into us for the past 50 years), thereupon to build. Fascinating and beyond.

Hi! Reddit!

You might want to check out the list of acronyms we use a lot around here:

(Ann) #24

Yes, I have that. It is words like Mirco-con-dra or something. Lately I’ve heard Dave Feldman use Hyperesponder… ?? It is those science terms about what our body is doing that I struggle with. I was not one of those that understood science in school. However. I’m not giving up. I listen and listen to podcasts, that eventfully I do learn some meanings.

Mitochondria are rod-shaped organelles that can be considered the power generators of the cell, converting oxygen and nutrients into adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the chemical energy “currency” of the cell that powers the cell’s metabolic activities (as per google)

Its what gives cells their energy through converting ADP into ATP (think of that as food for the cell). Every cell of your body has some. You inherit them from your mother not your father.

I believe Hyperresponder as Dave uses it means someone whose cholesterol numbers including or especially LDL go up as he adapts to Keto. However this is because total cholesterol goes up when you make more HDL which is the good cholesterol and LDL while it may increase, it produces less small (bad) particles and more good large particles. While this is not a health problem, it is a problem if you are applying for insurance or have a physician who is not well versed in cholesterol. Or at least that is how I understand what Dav is trying to say but I am not certain

(Ann) #26

Thank you for sharing! It has helped.