LOOK at this Beast!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #21

Just out of the oven. Still sizzling

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #22

It turned out more medium but still very tasty, juicy and fatty

(Becky) #23

I always wondered how to handle a lovely roast! Thanks!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #24

Thought Id share my “Cooking Thoughts” on this roast. …WARNING…This might be long…*

Pre cooking…Purchased standing rib roast 3 days prior to cooking. It’s been resting in my fridge. This morning I took it out of the package so it could breath. In the mean time, I had decided to use “Alton Brown’s” method of cooking…well, sort of. I didn’t use the terracotta cover. About an hour before I wanted it to go in the oven, I took it out of the fridge. This was Mistake #1. I should have taken it out of the fridge 2 or 3 hours prior to cooking. Just prior to placing the roast into the oven, I rub it with liberal amounts of pink salt, black pepper and olive oil. It should also be noted that I ran a couple of test on my oven to see if the selected temp was correct with what the actual temp at cooking time. I can explain this if needed.

Cooking…I stood the roast (rib side down, fat side up) in my cast iron skillet and inserted the temp probe so that it was in the thickest part of the roast. I placed the skillet in the oven and turned it to 200 deg F. The plan was to cook it to 118 deg F and remove from the oven. The temp was supposed to rise from 118 to 130 on it’s own. It did not…Mistake #2. Keep in mind that my roast is only a 1-bone and weighed 2.79lbs. After 2 hours the temp hit 118 and I removed it. It only came up to 125 before it started going back down. I put it back in and took the internal temp up to 125 deg F. Took it back out and started the resting again. Turned my oven up to 500deg F while watching my roast still sitting outside by this time it had risen to 127 deg. F. Tap, tap, tap…WAITING…temp made it to 131 and stopped. I put it back in @ 500 deg F and finished for 10 min.s

Overall impressions…I felt like it was too done. It was more med rare than rare. It was very juicy, fatty and flavorful. Would I cook it again?..ABSOLUTLY. Is it worth the price tag. Not so sure about that. I enjoy a good ribeye just as much if not more. But that’s just me and YMMV.

I hope you guys can get some benefit from all this.

(Jeff Hovel) #25

I picked up a Anova Sous cooker as a reword for losing 50#
Steak at 195^ ~ 200^ Then into the broiler for 2 minutes a side.
Rare, tender juicy.