Longer Lasting Avocados

(Failed) #1

The article doesn’t say how you’re supposed to ripen them at home, though. Has anyone tried these?

(Penny Walker) #2

I cut in half, season, olive oil and vacuum seal!

(Joey) #3

Haven’t seen them yet and not clear on what “longer lasting” actually means. All I know is that, in our house, they don’t seem to last very long :wink:

(Dan) #4

I remember reading an article about this coating several years ago. It sounded prom, guess it had taken awhile to actually get to market. I’m guessing that you would need to simply wash it off if you needed an avacado to ripen.

(Steve) #5

How you ripen avocados is to keep an apple in your fridge (just for that purpose as they’re not keto :wink: ) - take the apple and the avocado(s) that you want to ripen, put them in a paper bag and leave them on the counter for a day.

(Joey) #6

Wait a minute … you mean you keep avocados in the fridge to begin with? We always keep them on the counter as soon as we get them home. Does the fridge accomplish anything …i.e., speeds up or slows down their ripening?

(Susan) #7

I find the fridge slows it down and leave 1 or 2 to ripen on the counter. I’m not sure if it affects the taste or not.

I leave the fruit on the tree. They only ripen when they are picked. When I want an avocado, I pick it. It is usually hard and resilient to a gentle squeeze. I put them in the fridge if I want them not to ripen. They ripen well in a fruit bowl with other fruit. The acetylene gas from ripening fruit (a use for bananas) will ripen fruit around them. I think it is acetylene off gassing that promotes the ripening, along with a warm ambient room temperature. Sometimes we pick more avocados if we are sharing too many with critters (like rats or possums). We have an early season tree and a late season tree. You can grow them in a pot and they will produce fruit, so you can still have an avocado orchard in an apartment with a sunny balcony or courtyard.

I was wrong about acetylene - that’s used to ripen fruit for market by the producers. Ethylene is the ripening gas produced if we just let fruit ripen on its own.

(Susan) #9

Wow, that must be awesome having your own avocado tree.

It is very nice as one might imagine Susan. My local climate is a bit outside of normal avocado range. Equivalent to a northern Californian type environment. Coastal living so we don’t get many frosty nights. Never get snow. But, if you have an earth ship designed house with a sun facing greenhouse (sun room or conservatory as the English call them) then an avocado tree can grow quite well. There is a guy growing oranges year round in the northern mid-west of the USA in his partially sunken greenhouse home extension.

If you put the avocado trees on trolleys in their pots they can be wheeled around in their microenvironment, even in an apartment.

So instead of spending money on avocados, I spend time with them and they just give me fruit when they are ready. It is the start of spring here so they had just recently flowered and some new green leaf shoots are appearing. I’ve thanked them for coming out of their dormancy with some well composted ruminant manure plus some chicken manure for extra nitrogen and covered it all with some pasture hay mulch and watered it all in from the water in the full rain water tank. We share things, my trees and I.

That ruminant poo is regarded as waste by some. But it grows the avocados. It is a by-product resource form the meat I eat = sheep and cows. They are from a local farmer but I also collect the BS when I visit as BS is willingly shared in the human world at great social cost but no actual expense. I thank them for their poo and their soil rejuvenating gut biota. The chickens provide that great keto staple of eggs. Then the trees use the manure and give me avocados and some nuts and some blueberries. All I have to do is spend some time with them and distribute the resources to where they are needed.

Most of the energy for this activity is fuelled by ketones.

We all should have a go at killing an avocado tree. That is, start with low expectations. Surprisingly, life loves company and sitting with a warm beverage and having a chat and sharing molecules. A lot of this gardening stuff can be applied to cultivating people, community and friendships as well.

(Susan) #11

I live in Ontario, Canada. We have a Pear tree and a Black Cherry tree in the back yard. The squirrels and birds eat all the pears, and the cherries haven’t appeared yet (the tree is 3 years old and we were told it will bear fruit at about 5 years).

I don’t have any windows that get enough sun where I could have anything growing near them, unfortunately, but it is very cool that you do =).

I visited London Ontario. That was nice. And of course, spent some time in Toronto. The sharing of food resources with squirrels and birds is world wide. Just different birds and different “squirrels”. [carnivore question side track] Is there good eating on a squirrel? They are little messengers that we are all part of the web and cycle, not apart from it. Sharing is the economics lesson that nature gifts us. We just need to apply it more in everyday life. Not that I know much about permaculture, but I think one of the basic foundations is to share abundance. Oh, and that nation wealth should be measured by the smiles on the people and the number of worms in the soil.

(Susan) #13

We get wild bunnies in our backyard and they eat the grass, and are adorable. We have raccoons and skunks too. They are cute if we see them out of the window, but annoying if they get into our garbage. We bought special garbage cans that they are not meant to be able to open; but sometimes the raccoons still manage it, their little hands are quite amazing actually.

Kangaroos have lovely hands. I think nutritional ketosis allows mental clarity to observe and appreciate things. The world is so much more interesting without brain fog.

Wow, I really should try growing my own avocados! So I can actually keep them indoors? I live in Slovenia, central european mediterranean climate - hot summers, cold winters, fall and spring became something we cant really describe anymore :wink: I have some googling to do :slight_smile:

We should all aim to be longer lasting avocados.

(Steve) #17

Nope, I don’t. I often buy avocados that aren’t ripe yet. I leave them on the counter - but I’ll grab the apple from the fridge and accelerate ripening for one (or a few) when I want to make something in a day or so. Then the apple goes back in the fridge for the next time.