Longer Fast Questions?

(Kathy) #1

OK…I have fasted for up to 4 days in the past, and have had success. I would now like to attempt a full week fast.

Day 1 - I just did water only because I had blood drawn at 1pm. I decided to go ahead and fast the rest of the day as this was a good start. Problem - had a terrible headache - caffeine withdrawal. I took 2 excedrin migraine, which helped, and drank a cup of coffee later that day to stave off headache.

Day 2 - I actually had my bulletproof coffee this morning (just one cup). I like to have coconut oil, butter and a little whipping cream in mine. Then followed that with black coffee.

So, I have heard many different forms of fasting from water only, to including bone broth, to including fatty coffee. IF I have my fatty coffee in the morning, I’m thinking I heard Dr. Fung say that would work for some people. Also…know I probably need some sodium.

SO…here are my questions:

1. Will having a fatty coffee in the morning not be too detrimental with fasting? (Or…should I leave off the heavy whipping cream…which is what I did with my 4 day fast.)
  2. Is it OK to just have boullion instead of bone broth to replace sodium? If yes, once a day? Twice a day?
  3. I know some people have hot tea when fasting. Any types of teas to keep away from?

Just trying to see what others have been successful with. I know this is an individual thing, I have read the Fasting book with Dr. Fung & Jimmy Moore & have listened to Fasting Talk podcasts. It is a little overwhelming listening to all the variety of what others do. I guess what I’d like to know is what has worked for people on this forum?

Thank you in advance for chiming in!

Hi Kathy. For me, I am a vegetarian so I did not do bone broth but I tried vegetable broth with some butter added when I first did fasting. I also did coffee with heavy whipping cream, probably 1/4 cup, so more than the tablespoon or whatever it is Dr. Fung has mentioned was okay. I found that when I included the buttered broth and coffee with cream, I was hungrier and had more headaches.

The best I have ever felt on a fast was when I mainly stuck to water and sucking on pink himilayan salt crystals (I keep after these pretty often throughout the day to maintain electrolytes and minerals). I also am addicted to caffeine and will get a nasty headache if I don’t have some, so instead of coffee I went with Berocca energy drink, twice a day if I’m not “cheating” and also having some diet Dr. Pepper. It’s sweetened with aspartame, which Dr. Adam Nally says is not insulin-spiking.

Dr. Fung’s bottom line with these choices is always, whatever helps you to be compliant. If it helps you make it through the fast, then incorporating the BP coffee and bone broth could be the best thing to do.

One idea behind possibly eliminating those is if they prevent autophagy, which people usually want for the anti-aging and healing effects. I think the protein in the bone broth might interfere with autophagy. However, the real purpose in my mind for fasting is keeping the insulin low, and the broth probably won’t cause your insulin to go up much if at all.

I am quickly learning that if I fast regularly and don’t let too many days go by between fast, I get better results. I have not done more than 5 days or possibly 6 in the past, but I also am starting a 7 or 8 day fast tomorrow morning. All the best to you. Keep us posted how it goes!

(Kathy) #3

So far so good! Coming up on the 4 day mark. Going to try to make a full week this time around! I’ve been having bullet proof coffee in the morning, so that’s nice! So far having drops in weight each day. How have you been doing?

Hi Kathy! Glad to hear it’s going well. I’m cruising along, but it’s only the start of my 3rd day (I started the fast Friday afternoon). I really hope to make it the 7 days this time too, so shooting for Friday PM. I doubt I would go longer, but I have the option in mind of continuing into the weekend. We’ll see. I ended up drinking a few cans of diet soda today, because I was feeling deprived from having anything to eat while we were binge-watching a TV show. But, should be no harm to the fast. Occasionally feeling hungry, but riding those waves. My lips are getting really chapped, not sure what that’s about, but going to put some avocado oil on them, see if that helps. Keep up the good work!

(Zu) #5

Hi kathy, great to hear you are giving fasting a go. I have done many fasts over the years, and some very long, some medium and some short… Some dry and some water, some with other things…

The objective of your goal is?
Weightloss? Detox? either of these Im guessing…

If so, you need to dry to do water only.
When you fast on pure water (with the exception of electrolyte minerals only when you start to show signs of depletion) is the best way. Your body enters into different mode. It switches OFF digestion mode and switches ON cleaning debris/tumours/excess fat…Eating anything other than water does leave the body in limbo somewhat - neither fully in this mode nor fully in that mode.

If you must take something for the first few days let it be pure coconut oil. It will solve your head ache issues as coconut oil breaks the blood brain barrier and feeds the brain DIRECTLY… so this should help… when anyone in my house has migrains I chase them up with a big spoon of coconut oil and the pain goes in 15 mins MAX!

In terms of broth - this will stimulate the digestive system, so It will work yes, but the effectiveness is depreciated greatly… Breaking the fast on real fresh broth is a superb way to enter into eating though…Avoid any non-wholefood products, as your body will be very sensitive to any preservatives, MSG’s, nitrates, bad sodiums. One really needs to be very gentile with their body before the fast and after and have really good prep and post care - It can stuff the fast and the results can diminish greatly or even cause you damage.

You want to keep you fast as unadulterated as possible - while having only what you need to get you through… So it may be water as long as you can - or TBS coconut oil to get you over the hump… past 3-4 days your desire for food will be gone… have the oil until you completely shut off from food.

Myself I prefer for a short fast of 5-7 days to be completely DRY - no water or anything. I isolate myself and meditate. For longer than 7 I prefer water. I have done two 30 days on water and I was amazing. I have done 10 days on teas/turmeric and FELT LIKE HELL… these things can detox the body too quick and send the body into mixed modes… it complicates things a bit…

IANAD - but listen to your body… I would try, 1 day dry, then refeed, 2 days water only, then refeed, 3 days water then refeed… 4 days water only then re-feed…
and so on… if you need TB coconut to get you over the hump do so - but expect toxic anal eruptions - if you think its just wind/gas… no its not and you need to find the bathroom or have a spare change of clothes (gorgeous visuals?)

Also break the fast on as many days multiple by 1.5 with very gentile things for you digestions… bone broth, then cucumbers then avocados very slowly, and ease your way back into keto

this is just my crazy collection of personal experiences…

REMEMBER your body had just had major cell aptosis (cell death) you will be growing gorgeous new cells - what will you feed them?
be as clean and organic as possible in your diet for as long as possible after your fast… these are your new babies!!!

I wish you all the best and any help I can be I am only too happy! I been through the works fasting!!

(Kathy) #6

Thank you for all the information you provided! Much “food for thought”. :slight_smile:
This evening I will be ending my fast (7 days). You were completely correct in that after about the 3rd or 4th day I no longer had hunger. I was amazed that it really wasn’t as hard as I thought it might be.

I will definitely do the better foods when I “re-feed”. Oh yes…the reason for my 7 day fast was that I had plateaued for about 3 months…not moving anywhere. (Good thing is I wasn’t gaining either.). I was just in hopes that this would get my on my path to losing again. At this point I’d like to lose another 15…and I know the closer you are to your goal, the harder it will be.

So time will tell how much I’m able to keep off from my fast, as I know some gain is to be anticipated. Wish me luck! Thanks again for all of your experience. Very nice to know! -