Long term use of keto diet study

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Well, 24 weeks is longer than most studies done with keto. Dr. Phinney might not agree, LOL. But an interesting read none the less.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Hey, don’t knock it! It’s better than 2 weeks!

(John) #3

About 48 weeks so far in my own personal experiment. I don’t consider that long term. I consider 5 years long term.

They also increased carbs from 20-30g per day to 40-50g per day at the halfway mark (12 weeks):

They started with:

20 g to 30 g of carbohydrate in the form of green vegetables and salad

but then:

Twelve weeks later, an additional 20 g of carbohydrate were added to the meal of the patients to total 40 g to 50 g of carbohydrate.

They don’t specify what type of foods were used to add the other 20g of carbs - whether it was more greens or something else.

Not that it invalidates their study, just interesting points.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I noticed it as well. Phinny’s 3 yrs. which is still a work in progress, they have released data on the 2 yr. milestone, is the longest I have heard about. I’ve been keto over two years, 3 months. And I don’t consider that long term either.

I do over up to 50 carbs somedays, from more nut flours and dairy mostly so I don’t have an issue with that study going to that level. It works for me. Atkins’ approach was to start out at 20 and move up slowly after fat adaption. Westman and Phinney have done this with their folks too, so not that uncommon.

Longer studies require much more $$$ and manpower, so we probably won’t be seeing anything longer than the 3 yrs. study anytime soon is my guess.

(Wendy) #5

Just like most trials. It will take yrs to gather all the information, and medical studies. I personally think they will find the pros outweigh the cons.