Liver Jerky?

Has anyone here ever made liver jerky? If so, how do you do it?
I’m not into buying overpriced stuff and prefer to prepare most of what I eat.
I was thinking this would be a good way to get more into my diet and possibly could get the kids to eat it this way. So far only one of my three will eat liver.

(bulkbiker) #2

I’m guessing that the dehydration would cause the taste to become stronger so if they don’t like the taste maybe not the best strategy? Do they like pate? that’s pretty easy to make…

Edit to add it’s certainly a “thing”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Some people hide some ground up and added to ground beef in stuff like chili or meatloaf. Have you ever tried that? I agree with Mark about drying intensifying the flavor. I think the less cooked straight liver is the more palatable. Like a minute or so on each side of 1/4” thick pieces.

Yeah, I’ve tried hiding it and will probably resort to it in the future for the kids. I actually like liver when I cook it in bacon grease and good butter (with plenty of salt).
It’s just always such a production to cut up and cook just right that I was hoping for something different.
Definitely not willing to pay Epic’s “epic” prices for their stuff, though!

Thanks for responding y’all.

(Diane) #5

I’m now just sitting here in a corner quietly shuddering…

:laughing:

(danjo171) #7

I don’t know about liver but heart makes really good jerky. Just slice and dehydrate, leave the fat on it tastes really good. I have used both sheep and beef heart.