List of words that actually don't mean a thing

This may be correct for most of those, but in the US at least, to label a food as “Organic” it must meet the USDA requirements to get that label.

“Produce can be called organic if it’s certified to have grown on soil that had no prohibited substances applied for three years prior to harvest. Prohibited substances include most synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.”

“As for organic meat, regulations require that animals are raised in living conditions accommodating their natural behaviors (like the ability to graze on pasture), fed 100% organic feed and forage, and not administered antibiotics or hormones.”

http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/03/22/organic-101-what-the-usda-organic-label-means/

It would have to have this label.

(Guardian of the bacon) #22

Bob, While this is true there really is no one policing this. To my knowledge, you pay the “inspection fee”, an ispector comes out and gives a cursory inspection of the premises and your documentation, if you pass you can then sell organic goods.

I don’t believe there is any additional residue testing or anything. You are pretty much at the mercy of the seller that they are honest.

For your small local producer this probably isn’t an issue. For a mega corporation…I’m not so sure.

(Guardian of the bacon) #23

And on top of that, there are some “organic” compounds that are very toxic.

Yea, when people tell me something isn’t natural or it’s a “chemical” I love to tell them arsenic is natural and pretty much will kill you.

(Jane Reed) #25

I am not entirely convinced by a meat label that says “grass fed”. All cattle are grass fed, early in life. It’s when they go to the feed lot that they are fed grain. I want to see labels that say " grass fed, grass finished".

(Arlene) #26

wholesome

(Derek I. Batting) #27

(Newimprovedme ) #28

I wonder if no added MSG means anything

(Dustin Cade) #29

the fact that Honey Nut Cheerios are marketed to help guard against heart disease… sugar coated sugar, in milk, which is sugar water…

(Guardian of the bacon) #30

This is not true. Many cattle are raised on feed their entire life.

This part I agree with.

(Dustin Cade) #31

at this point grass fed beef isn’t really viable, its more expensive (for my family), the benefits are more for the cow than they are to us… at least from what i understand, i could be wrong, its happened a lot… now cows and all other animals should be treated humanly, but that shouldn’t cost me more…

(jilliangordona) #32

I am ALL about consumer knowledge and Ag literacy (I teach agriculture in a high school for a living). The organic label is much most stringent and expensive than what you are describing.

I am not a fan of organic at all, since the idea of it is very leading to consumers, however it is the only one that truly follows a rigorous set of guidelines

(Guardian of the bacon) #33

I’m a farmboy so I’m going to try and explain a few things.

Be careful I may accidenally get a snippet of science mixed in. It is true, cows are biologically designed to live on grass. They will live a much longer, healthier, happy life outdoors on pasture eating grass and hay. One caveat to this is that cattle raised in the modern feedlot system are slaughtered before they are old enough for health conditions to arise. 15-18 months is probably the average age of feedlot fattened steer. Antibiotics can partially be credited for the good health of these “sickened” animals.

The health benefits to us from cows being 100% grass fed, pasture raised is that they have a better omega 3 - omega 6 profile. They also store up all that vitamin D that they soak up from the sun and that we are sorely lacking, in their fat.

Cattle that are fed in smaller farmer owned feed lots usually are handled very humanely. Happy cows are profitable cows.

The facts are it takes much longer (up to a year) to fatten cattle on 100% grass. It also takes a lot of land. I’m sure you have heard the saying “Time is money” If a farmer has his money tied up in an animal a whole extra year, it costs more.

(jilliangordona) #34

There is a “Certified Naturally Grown” label you can receive from an independent organization. I linked it below .

http://www.cngfarming.org/strong text

(Guardian of the bacon) #35

I never said it was cheap.

Stringent? There is obviously a divide between AG ED and what I see everyday on the farm level.
Most of the “organic” operations I am familiar with are the laziest, sloppiest, most disorganized operations around.

(Kathy Meyer) #36

I thought that organic actually meant something as growers must be certified, and they are inspected? Is that just in the US? The rest I agree with.

(Kathy Swinkels) #38

As the parent of a coeliac sufferer, I have to say that this does mean something!
Maybe not to those who have the choice, but for my son who was “glutened” last Friday and still recovering this means everything.

(jilliangordona) #39

Where do you live? I’d love to hear more. I’ve been on my fair share of farms but haven’t personally seen this. I’d rather be as honest as possible with my students about their food system!!

(Guardian of the bacon) #40

I’m in MI

I’m not saying these places use products they shouldn’t. Most of them are run in such a manner I don’t view them as a place I want my “premium” food dollar to go.

(Jay Morris) #41

Well that certainly is a downer, and I meant no offense to those that suffer.
My original thought was to those that believe removal of gluten products will bring weight loss results, which is quite sadly how the popularity or “Gluten Free” products had arisen in 2014 to 2016, and not due to the recognition of the physical problems some may suffer.