Liquor life style

(Warren ) #1

I’m sure I’ll get the obvious negative feedback for my comment, but here goes. I like to drink alcohol and I have been less than 20 carbs per day for 6 months. I drink vodka or scotch straight. My weight loss had been very inconsistent, over all 15 lbs. I have no problem avoiding carbs and I’m on 20/4 IF. I’m guessing my liver is working on the liquor calories and I’m not burning fat as I should be on Lchf diet. Anyone else in this situation?

(Larry Lustig) #2

I’m a (very) moderate drinker and have not had it interfere with my keto journey.

However, if you’re drinking most days and consuming enough alcohol that you’re either processing it for a significant fraction of the day or able to meet the bulk of your caloric needs from the alcohol calories alone then I would imagine that, yes, it’s may well be keeping you out of nutritional ketosis.

(Warren ) #3

Yes probably true. I’ve had blood tests 2x and liver function is normal.
Interesting stall. Thanks for your comment. Guess you can’t have
everything!

(Michelle) #4

I used to drink a lot. I quit in January when I started Keto, but working alcohol back in starting in February. A BIG reduction from what I used to drink - only a few glasses of wine with meals on the weekends. However, since I did work it back in, my weight loss has stalled.

I do believe that alcohol does affect the fat burning process. Not so much while drinking, but days after, since fat burning is mainly hormonal and your liver is busy getting things back to normal after that alcohol.

Will it change me from drinking wine on the weekends? No. I want this lifestyle mainly for health, and a life without wine is just not worth it to me. So, slower weight loss, but generally in much better health and life enjoyment.

(Warren ) #5

Thanks my thoughts as well .

(Jacquelyn Graham) #6

Your liver has to stop everything it’s normally doing to deal with the liquor you are putting into your system, once it’s cleaned up the toxins it goes back to what it normally does. The more toxins you put in your system, the more your liver has to stop and it puts you out of ketosis while its doing its job. So, my guess is if you want to see more progress, cut your liver a break and drink less. It’s not the calories, it’s the systems it affects.

(Bart) #7

I stay in ketosis when I drink liquor. Fat burning may be slowing down do the processing of the alcohol, but I do not get kicked out of ketosis.

(Warren ) #8

Yes I stay in Ketosis no problem. by the next afternoon im turning the
sticks purple, but not losing lbs like I would be otherwise Im sure.

(Steak and iron) #9

If you’re not losing weight, the first thing you should check is how much you’re actually eating.

I try not to let the scale tell me how good to feel. I focus on eating the right foods to keep blood sugar and insulin low. The hormones should do the rest. I’m not giving up drinking, just changing when and how much.

(Warren ) #11

Yes my thoughts as well. I’m 60 and active, don’t need to stress too much
with out enjoying life at the same time.