Lipid Transport

(Bob M) #21

This is true. Listened to a discussion about this, and one comment was that if the corpus of material you used to train AI was from Reddit, you’d get all the biases of a generally white, young group. The corpus used for training affects the output.

That’s why I use Chat GPT for things like programming, technology, going somewhere. It can still be corrupted, but the chances of that are a lot less.

(Bob M) #22

Show use the RCTs for this. Not epi garbage, but actual RCTs where they measured something like CAC scores or CIMT.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Now it’s on you to show your sources. Or to get ChatGPT to show its sources.

(Luza Hazel) #24

I know where you’re going with this and my comment isn’t to promote degenerating whole food plant based diets. The point is that a typical mixed standard diet of overeating is the cause of health issues. High fat/high carb mixed.

Veganism seems to be the most stringent of all the plant-based diets since it excludes all animal-related substances [3]. A whole-food plant-based diet (WFPBD) is another sort of vegan diet that has demonstrated substantial advancements in cardiovascular health, diabetes, and cancer types [4]. More specifically, WFPBD features many fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and natural soy products while eliminating animal products, processed carbs, fat, and sugar.

The long-term impacts of plant-based diets on health outcomes may be difficult to disentangle from plant-based diet-associated behaviors (e.g., regular exercise, avoidance of tobacco and alcohol). However, according to observational research, lower risks of coronary artery disease, obesity, arterial hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and some or perhaps all malignancies are linked with plant-based and vegetarian diets [5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12]. Randomized experiments have indicated that vegetarian and especially vegan diets have a positive influence on a variety of cardiovascular (CV) events [13].
JCDD | Free Full-Text | The Effect of a Vegan Diet on the Cardiovascular System (mdpi.com)

Ketogenic diet, not high fat, is protective against atherosclerosis.
A Ketogenic Diet Is Protective Against Atherosclerosis in Apolipoprotein E Knockout Mice - PMC (nih.gov)

(Luza Hazel) #25

The relationship between insulin and atherosclerosis is complex. People with type 2 diabetes are affected by three main glycaemic disorders: chronic hyperglycaemia; glycaemic variability; and iatrogenic hypoglycaemia. In addition to this triumvirate, the diabetic condition is characterized by lipid disorders, chronic low-grade inflammation and activation of oxidative stress. All these associated disorders reflect the insulin-resistant nature of type 2 diabetes and contribute to the development and progression of cardiovascular (CV) diseases. By both lowering plasma glucose and improving the lipid profile, insulin exerts beneficial effects on CV outcomes. In addition, insulin has several pleiotropic effects such as anti-inflammatory, antithrombotic and antioxidant properties. Insulin per se exerts an inhibitory effect on the activation of oxidative stress and seems able to counteract the pro-oxidant effects of ambient hyperglycaemia and glycaemic variability. However, insulin actions remain a subject of debate with respect to the risk of adverse CV events, which can increase in individuals exposed to high insulin doses. Evidence from the large-scale, long-term ORIGIN trial suggests that early implementation of insulin supplementation therapy in the course of glycaemic disorders, including type 2 diabetes, has a neutral impact on CV outcomes compared with standard management. Thus, the answer to the question “What impact does insulin have on atherosclerosis?” remains unclear, even though it is logical to deduce that insulin should be initiated as soon as possible and that small doses of insulin early on are better than higher doses later in the disease process.

Your source. No proof that insulin is atherogenic. Therefore atherosclerosis precedes insulin resistance.

(Joey) #26

Yeah, indeed.

Perhaps we might start a thread under our new “Show Me The Garbage” category that asks ChatGPT for proof of God’s existence.

No doubt it would finally put this thorny issue to rest - one way or the other.

That is, assuming its AI servers don’t overheat and melt first before spewing out it’s definitive internet-sourced reply.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Show us a case where that has ever happened, and I’ll listen.

But insulin resistance begins long before a diagnosis of other metabolic dysfunction. As Joseph Kraft showed, a dysfunctional insulin response can begin up to 20 years before the onset of noticeable symptoms. And this is true even if you believe the standard lipid hypothesis that it’s saturated fat intake that causes atherosclerosis, because it’s the high-carb intake that raises triglycerides and depresses HDL.

(Jenna Ericson) #28

I’m not sure about atherogenic, but as Richard says, insulin is inherently inflammatory. This probably means different things depending on which organs or cells it’s affecting. I looked up insulin’s effect on arteries and found that it dilates them by increasing nitric oxide and increased nitric oxide in arteries can lead to a lot of issues.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Now, see, I learned exactly the opposite: that insulin interferes with the production of nitric oxide, thereby stiffening the arteries and increasing our blood pressure. Guess it’s back to PubMed!

(KM) #30

Yes, what I’ve read about Nitric oxide is that it’s necessary and a positive influence on arterial dilation. However, nitric and nitrous oxide are not the same chemical.

(Jenna Ericson) #31

Thanks, I just edited the post!

(Jenna Ericson) #32

Over time, I wonder if insulin would create a sort of nitric oxide resistance or downregulation because of overexposure.

Uric acid inhibits nitric oxide production.