Lifting heavy quote

(eat more) #1

came across this quote :slight_smile:

(Michelle) #2

love it!! :heart:

(Steak and iron) #3

Amen! So many women have this crazy fear that if they pick up a barbell they’re suddenly going to turn into she-hulk. Looking that way takes years of dedication and usually substantial steroid usage.

(Adam Kirby) #4

It’s from all the marketing bullshit that has been targeted at them for decades. Guys lift heavy weights, women “tone” (shudder). Women should look at the strongest natural female athletes… gymnasts. No bulkiness at all.

(eat more) #5

i had some guy at the gym “advise” me (unsolicited)
“that’ll make you strong but women are different if you want to get lean and tone do light weights…LOTS of reps…i’m training my daughter” and wouldn’t stop so i finally just said
“ok cool but i’m doing THIS” and continued my (heavy for me) barbell bench press

i wanted to say “yeah your daughter isn’t lean and isn’t strong muscle “tone”?..are you calling me not “toned”?!” LOL

(Steak and iron) #6

Anyone who uses the word “toned” can be immediately disregarded. There’s no such thing as “toned”

(Michelle) #7

Love it when people stick their nose in my business. I usually do the “I’m deaf” sign and disregard them.

(eat more) #8

well he does workout in jeans and work boots…upper body only…

(Steak and iron) #9

Yeah this person can be completely disregarded.

(eat more) #10

fo sho…mostly i just smile and nod and go about MY business…ppl i am closer to i actually say “go away, go away now” lol

i actually have a tank that says “fuck off, i’m lifting” i don’t wear it…it was an impulse buy, don’t want to present myself like that, and a lot of older folks are at the gym when i am there…but i do feel the sentiment LOL

(Brian Moody) #11

Dumb. The major compound lifts work wonders for anybody who can safely perform them - men, women, teenagers, young & old folks alike.

I’ve learned to never give unsolicited advice to people I don’t know, even when it pains me to see what some folks do…

(eat more) #12

sometimes i do :scream:
i can’t stop myself when i see someone struggling and doing something that will cause injury usually women who are brand new…usually squats and deadlifts lol
BUT i ask…“can i show you something real quick?”

You can’t “tone” a muscle. You can improve your ability to use your muscle fibers (increased recruitment of motor neurons), or you can add more muscle fibres or thicken existing fibres (add muscle). Alternatively, you can simply “move” a muscle around (this is what a lot of people do in the gym).

Agree with stupidrobots. If someone talks about “toning”, they can be ignored. Likewise, anyone who talks about “a pump” as being something to aim for.

What people mean by “Toning” is really just the process of lowering fat around the muscle, but for a while there people thought it was a separate thing.

The problem (historically) with women and weights (as others have identified) was the use, and denial of use, of growth hormornes and steroids amongst woman bodybuilders. This caused millions of woman to think that if they lifted weights they would look like a female bodybuilder. Part of the solution to this problem was the introduction on the fictional “toning” workouts. “Toning” is pretty much reducing fat through diet and exercise, resistance training, and not taking growth drugs!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Muscle Don’t Shake.

(Omar Newsome) #15

“Weights don’t make women bulky, doughnuts make women bulky!”

One of my favorites along the same lines! I must say, it’s refreshing to see women clanging and banging like it’s there job. That’s what I’ll train my daughters to do!

Oh and BTW, light weight for lots and reps is cardio and “friends don’t let friends do cardio!”
:joy:

(eat more) #16

not even cardio…just silliness :joy: