Life expectancy down

(ianrobo) #1

BBC news just reported they expect for the first time ever that life expectancy for the UK will fall. They talked about all the factors that could cause this, except guess which one ?

Add to this the spat between Dr Malhortra and the PHE over food advice and is the last of a dying flame ?

(bulkbiker) #2

We can but hope re the demise of PHE and that dreadful Tedstone woman…
although wasn’t it that life expectancy has stalled rather than reversed? Wasn’t really listening… not the same without Eddie Mair…

(ianrobo) #3

Ah this was on 6 news and overall lower because a small drop in Scitlsnd and wales and flat in England.

But I am sure you see the stuff from PHE and they refuse to debate andcdimply said evidence supports them … which is ???

(Frank) #4

Down in the us. Past 2 years if I’m not mistaken.

(bulkbiker) #5

Exactly… they demand evidence but never provide any of their own for the Eatbadly guide… mainly of course because there ain’t none…

(charlie3) #6

The US Center for Disease Control statistics about diabetes in American adults, which I noticed early this year, stopped me in my tracks. It took, literally, a few moments to realize the only thing that could unify so many people. Now my life seems to be about diet and exercise. So far so good.

(ianrobo) #7

well there is - 7 countries study and er … thats it … r otherwise they could never provide one which is why they will never debate this in public

(ianrobo) #8

not quite as bad as the US but we are getting there but things are changing … you can see that in the press and elsewhere, see it on companies responses … The big one to take down is heart healthy grains …

(Terence Dean) #9

You think that’s bad? According to Dr Stephen Phinney, China conducted a nation-wide survey and found that 11% of the population has type 2 diabetes. Is that a crisis in the making or not?

(ianrobo) #10

Totally and is that since the westernisation of their food ? For example we know with the trade war just how much soya they import in from the US ?

(Terence Dean) #11

Yes its the western influence coming into China and a lot of other Asian countries too, affecting a lot of the younger generation who have rejected the old style of eating in favor of fast food, alcohol, and obviously more carbs. Phinney reckons it started in the early 80s so for China the population was 1.3 billion in 2016, so 11% of that is 143 million Chinese with type 2 diabetes! They are getting taller, wider and obviously sicker.

29 million in the USA have diabetes, 8.1 million un-diagnosed, 1.4 million new cases every year. Its a bloody epidemic!

(Frank) #12

A very expensive one at that. Unfortunately, I believe, it will be the cost of treating these diseases which will drive change and not merely changing for healths sake.

(Todd Allen) #13

Add in those with pre-diabetes and it’s around half of adults and far more than half of seniors. Listen to Ivor Cummings discuss Dr. Joseph Kraft’s work and it looks like the distinction between pre-diabetes and diabetes is pretty arbitrary. It is based on either fasting blood glucose or HbA1C but not on insulin resistance and the post prandial blood glucose swings which can be bad long before diabetes is diagnosed.

I was never diagnosed diabetic as neither FBG or HbA1C ever got quite bad enough but I developed many symptoms of severe diabetes which have all gotten much better since going keto and think of myself as a recovering type 2.

(ianrobo) #14

purely on a cost saving basis it should appal to politicians but then we come to the money in politics from the big food firms …

So only way we can do this is from the bottom up and use social media etc to get the message out …