Leukocytes in urine during / after fasts

(Allie) #1

I’m sure most of you know my feelings on pee sticks for measuring ketones :joy: but as I have a lifelong history of bladder / kidney issues, I always keep in some of the ten parameter test strips to keep a check on other readings.

I’ve noticed that when I’m fasting, after about 24 hours, I get a high level of leukocytes show up which seems to coincide with ketones rising. I thought maybe the high levels of ketones were somehow aggravating something as things with me are sensitive in that respect (just drinking tea will set off problems, irritable bladder they say), but now I don’t think so as I broke fast on Fri eve and ketone levels are now normal (just tested blood at 1.3), but leukocytes are still reading high.

Now I don’t expect anyone here to have an answer, but am looking for ideas - I’m wondering if it’s maybe a sign of autophagy as, with the history, I do have a hell of a lot of scar tissue in my bladder and all around my reproductive organs.

I have to stress that I feel absolutely fine and have no symptoms of an infection, and believe me I know the signs.

(Katarina ) #2

Thanks for bringing this up Allie, as I am interested in this topic too. I have been having leukocytes in urine for the past week (and today bilirubin also) and, like you, no infection. I have been experiencing some pain in my kidneys and wonder whether keto way of eating could be causing this. About 10 day ago I had blood work done for liver and kidney function as well as abdominal ultrasound, and it was all good. I have been keto for just over a year now. Any thoughts would be welcome.