Less protein, more fat?

(Deborah ) #1

Hello all! I just started keto about a week ago. No weight loss yet. :frowning: I find am having a difficult time getting enough fat without overdoing the protein. I’ve had no problem keeping my carbs very low, but really need some suggestions on how to increase my fat without adding more protein. Any and all suggestions welcome!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Butter, olives, alvacado, olive oil, coconut oil, alvacado oil, cheese if you can handle dairy, skin on chicken thighs vs. breast, cream cheese, eggs…

Just for starters.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

I almost forgot… mayo!

I had the same issue. Here are the foods I use that contain very little carbs and protein:

Cocoa butter (I eat it straight; tastes like chocolate to me)
Mascarpone cheese
Triple cream brie

Slightly higher carbs and protein, but still relatively very low:

Avocados
Macadamia nuts
Cream cheese

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

My favorite new treat is marscapone cheese with a little bit of vanilla and cinnamon and a drop of Stevia added in. So yummy and 3 tablespoons will help up that fat level considerably. I use extra dark chocolate to dip it.

(Deborah ) #6

Thanks. I have all of the oils and heavy whipping cream, butter, etc., just having a hard time thinking of ways to use them (can’t stomach them plain!) without adding protein, like meat or eggs. I really like olive, both black and green, so will try to get more of those in. I eat a lot of eggs, too, but there again, there’s added protein. Maybe boost the cheese a bit. Ah well, I suppose I’ll figure it out eventually.

(Deborah ) #7

I like the marscapone cheese ideas here! Gotta add that to my repertoire, and I LOVE brie, so it’ll be on my shopping list as well.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Fried eggs in either butter or bacon fat is practically the perfect macro breakdown.

Just cut down on the portion sizes of your meat proteins and top with butter, cheese or mayo and/or cook in oil.
Have your veggies swim in butter. Make cole slaw with cabbage and mayo. I get over 500 calories from a small amount of cole slaw using avacado oil mayo that’s over 80% fat.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

And if your still struggling, follow some recipies until you know how to get the added fat in there.

If your carbs aren’t too near the 20g, just a few strawberries cut up very small are lovely mixed in with whipped cream- I don’t add any sweetener as I’m trying to lose my sweet tooth!
There’s lots of fat bomb recipes in the recipe section. I tried a little cream cheese the other day, mixed with coconut oil, some cacao powder & a little vanilla- lovely!
There’s also lots of salad dressing recipes online you could try.

(Deborah ) #11

Thanks to you all! I’m loving the strawberries and whipped cream idea. I’m making a shopping list as I read all your suggestions. :slight_smile:

(Troy Anthony) #12

remember that fat grams are much higher in calories. That might sound obvious but when I first started I thought I literally needed to eat 75% of my total grams from fat. I thought I’d be eating coconut oil out of the jar haha. So just in case there is confusion, 3 eggs with avocado is almost perfect on macros, just barely over on protein depending on the person. There are more protein grams, but 70% of the calories from that meal are fat, and 25% are from protein. If you use a macro calculator I’m sure this is obvious, but I wasn’t at first and didn’t know much. Now to be helpful with an actual suggestion, if you like smoothies, my go to is a smoothie with a few frozen berries, few cups spinach, celery, ginger, etc. All carbs so it looks scary, but then I add full fat coconut milk, almond butter, avocado, coconut butter, chia seeds, etc. I maybe even throw some cacoa powder. This is extremely nutrient dense and it’s typically around 80% calories from fat, low protein, and fairly low net carbs. I have no problem with the carb count of this, but you could always cut the berries and get this to like 90% fat from calories. Oh yeah, add ice and some water to get the texture right :wink:

(TJ Borden) #13

Hmm. I’ll have to try that. I picked some up for making keto chocolates, but I didn’t think to try it straight.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

I use cocoa butter in my BPC. Though I don’t drink it much anymore since going 2MAD. That with coconut oil and some vanilla makes it really creamy and almost like a capaccino.

Kindle is my best friend now. Of course their is a lot of free info out there. The ebooks are cheap and loaded with great recipes. Since I started 2.5 weeks ago I have read, read, read…and paying closer attention to labels more than I ever have.

(Ernest) #16

Take a bite of butter with every bite of food.
Extra yolks with your egg
Scrambled eggs soak up quite a bit of fat.
Learn to make butter based sauces
Some of the fat should come from your own body

(Rob) #17

Whip it to super stiff (but before you convert it to butter :grinning:) with a enough cocoa powder and some sweetener to make an awesome chocolate mousse. Make a biggish bowl - it will last several days in the fridge without degrading (if you whip it, whip it real good!) :man_dancing:.

I defy you to limit yourself to only a couple of ounces of almost pure fat.

PS - great to have with berries - who doesn’t love strawberries or raspberries (or any berry) with chocolate? I also have it with sugar free jello… in for a penny, in for a pound with the sweeteners :grin:

(Chris W) #18

HWC, ice, almond milk or cocnut milk, some cocoa powder, protein powder(optional) some macadamia nuts if you have them, maybe a splash of a flavor that is sugar free. Blend or make a smoothie, pure fat, and its delicious I do this a lot.

Remember, the objective is to keep insulin levels low. Consumption of fat is less insulinogenic than consumption of protein or carbohydrate, but is not a goal onto itself. Dr Berg and others, have reported from their experience that excess dietary fat consumption may not be beneficial in folks trying to lose weight. It intuitively makes sense that our bodies would use up dietary fat resources before tapping into our booty fat stores.

Dr Fung believes that while in a state of ketosis, any deficit in energy consumption will be addressed by drawing upon our internal energy stores. If this is true, there is no need to worry about fat macros apart from keeping insulin low.

For me, measuring effect (BG) is easier and more effective than tracking food.

(TJ Borden) #20

Agree 100%, once you’re fat adapted. Most recommendations (at least mine) to focus on fat is to get to that point.