Less fluctuation on keto?

Since I started my WOE (12 Oct) I have had neither the usual weight fluctuation (typically 2-3 kilos) nor any water retention. I was 56 kilos when I started and was dealing with a lot of water retention, swelling and inflammation. I am now 51 kilos and all water retention, swelling and inflammation has been dramatically reduced. Have you noticed less fluctuation and water retention on keto?

(Allie) #2

The body holds less water on keto so that makes perfect sense. Without the carbs there’s nothing to hold the fluid in the body, each gram of carbs holds 3 or 4 times as much water.

Yes that makes sense. It may be the lack of water retention is what actually caused the reduction in inflammation as well, as when I was eating a high carb, low fat diet I had so much water retention and a lot of lipoedema pain. I do still experience that my calves swell up in the evenings though, regardless of water retention. But the varicose surgeon I saw said this wasn’t due to any fluid issues as he could detect none on the ultrasound. Perhaps if I dropped all carbs it might further improve, but then again, perhaps it wouldn’t. But it’s definitely encouraging either way this lack of water retention. I think I’ve had fewer leg cramps since I upped my salt intake as well.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

It is the elevated insulin on a high-carbohydrate diet that causes systemic inflammation (and also, too much of the ω-6 fatty acids). But if you really mean the swelling that water-retention causes, then I agree with you.

Well yes, the swelling is much reduced, but still there, so not entirely healed. But my hope is once I’ve dealt with the varicose veins perhaps the swelling issues will further improve, and if I continue to drop the carbs even further. I don’t know if it’s a sign of finally having reached fat adaptation but my appetite is lessening. I had fully intended to eat two meals today but after my usual late breakfast consisting of omelette and bacon and a bit later a coffee with cream I just wasn’t hungry and have had no inclination to cook that second meal.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Not of fat-adaptation per se, but definitely of being in ketosis (we enter ketosis very quickly; fat-adaptation takes six to eight weeks, normally).

Ah, then it probably is ketosis. I suppose there’s a chance I won’t feel much different when my body finally reaches fat-adaptation. I was hoping one of the benefits would be more energy, as currently I am still lacking in that department, but we can’t choose how any particular WOE will benefit our bodies, so it’s just a matter of giving it time and readjusting along the way if it’s required.

I always had about zero fluctuation (after some time, even going on and off keto did nothing). But as you had problems with water retention, it makes sense you lost that fluctuation.

(My case is actually makes little sense, one is supposed to have some fluctuation… I suspect my scale is stubborn too.)

There may be so many reasons. As far as I know, most people get it just due to ketosis. And these things change. While in ketosis, being fat adapted and even choosing my food similarly I may be super hungry despite eating a ton and 2 days later I eat less and feel perfectly satiated all day (maybe some factor still change as it’s hard to keep them all very similar but I can imagine I would have these phases and odd days anyway). Sometimes I don’t feel hunger for several days (I still need to eat and I don’t eat too little but hunger? nope, not even if I wait until 6pm. and it’s not good for me to have my first meal later).

Not eating much carbs has a good chance at reducing your food need to reach satiation, I think that’s what you talk about…? (I don’t say appetite as that has about nothing to do with anything in my case, not with hunger, not with energy intake, not my fuel need… That’s just desire, may happen with or without hunger or need for food. So I am always uncertain what people think when saying appetite.)