Lectured by a Vegan 🙄 What other ways has Keto improved your health/ life?

(Kristen) #1

At a party this past weekend I was cornered by a Vegan who asked me what was stopping me from trying Veganism and I mentioned I do Keto. He had an exasperated response and goes “ugh Ketogenic always makes me roll my eyes…” and continued with his lecture. I did my best to tube him out and end the conversation, but later thought of so many arguments for it. What are some others you have?

Mine are:

1. Keto gets me to and keeps me at a healthy weight.

2. I eat far less processed food on Keto. No refined carbs, fake junk, packaged, man made oils or other ingredients. I consume primarily natural, whole foods. (No soy products or things that mess with my hormones either.)

3. I eat way more leafy greens and other vitamin packed veggies than ever before. (Have to to stay regular on Keto tmi sorry plus full fat dressing makes veggies delish)

4. I have so much energy on Keto. I can exercise after a long day no problem.

5. My skin glows. Paying attention to my water intake, macro nutrients, and getting all my amino/ fatty acids makes my skin so healthy.

6. Keto keeps me disciplined. I’m not going to break my diet over a donut in the breakroom because getting out of ketosis is not worth it. And, it almost takes more work to research fast food items and hit the drive through than just cooking something I know at home.

7. It keeps me looking healthy as well. This vegan is rail thin and guant. I have some chub still, but lean muscle too. I’d so much rather look like this than have dark circles, hair loss, etc.

I’ve been annoyed by their superiority ever since. What are some other arguments you have for Keto?

(Katie) #2

Steady blood sugar throughout the day. In my previous vegetarian life my bloods sugar was a roller coaster and I was hangry every day.

For an ethical perspective: there is a lot to be said for sustainable farming. Growing, harvesting, and transporting vegetables kills animals too (the soil is fertilized by dead bugs; bugs get squished in the process of harvesting; I have seen dead bugs in the folds of lettuce; transporting traditionally seasonal vegetables to the other side of the continent pollutes the Earth).

There are nutrients that we need that we simply cannot get from vegetables. Supplementing with daily vitamins is not natural, nor is it entirely effective.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

You’ve covered it for me! Can’t stand all the misinformation out there. I am way healthier than I was before. No more junk food. the most important point you hit was the increased vegetable consumption. People get it so wrong when they call Keto “dangerous” and try to characterize it as a high protein diet. If more people ate this way there would be far less diabetes and obesity, for starters.

(Stephanie ) #4

For me personally it has helped with my digestive/stomach issues. No more pain!!!

Did you point out how ill he looked?!
I can’t remember where I saw it, maybe on the Magic Pill documentary, but a lady who’d been vegan tried to grow her own veg. She realised that the soil & plants she grew needed fertiliser, bone meal etc., & saw that being vegan didn’t work! An interesting argument, maybe someone else saw this documentary?

You might as well try getting him to change religions. Just say I’m glad you found something that works for you, keto is what works for me.

If they get obnoxious just keep talking about how delicious the bacon is and how the pig was asking for it (“i mean seriously, have you had really good thick cut bacon that’s been perfectly cooked so the fat just melts in your mouth - i’ll take that over lentils and Bulgar wheat any day of the week.”).

(charlie3) #7

Correct me if i’m wrong, vegans object to killing animals for food. That’s a political or moral stand, not about your health or my health. I love reasoning with people who have differing views but I have no patience for manipulators who aren’t transparent about their motives.

In most of the things that have changed it’s hard to give all the credit to the diet or the exercise.

I’m so much calmer, particularly at work. Do others doing keto notice the same?

I don’t seem to be needing as much sleep. Is that typical of eating keto style?

In younger days resistance training left my muscles sore and stiff. Now they feel warm and fuzzy all the time.

Before eating I’m always HUNGRY and when the meal is done I’m FULL. I’ve never enjoyed food as much.

If you jumped in the Wayback Machine, 60-70 years and looked at a bunch of older guys on the street most of them would be lean and fit. Thanks to keto I look that way and I like it a lot and it wasn’t that hard.

My focus in the car and on the motorcycle are noticeably improved. That makes the motorcycle more enjoyable.

I’m in control of food now instead of the other way around. It’s a significant power that very few people know about. It’s one of those practices you have to practice before you can appreciate it. I look around the shop and see my coworkers munching their carb snacks all day long. Some of them see what I eat for lunch. They all see me marching continuously around the building at lunch and breaks. We’ll see if it starts a trend.

I would be exercising regardless of keto but I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t be sustaining my volume of exercise without keto.

(matt ) #8

I don’t entertain vegans. They have lost their minds. There I said it.

(Randy) #9

Anybody “corners” me, and I tell them to back off and walk away. Life is to short to suffer fools.

(Terence Dean) #10
  1. You look ill, are you sure you don’t want this steak?

And that’s when you say, that because your an entitled dipshit!, pat him on the head, give him a carrot and be on your way. The best way to piss off a vegan is to laugh in their face, and remind them you don’t owe them an excuse. Or blow them over, doesn’t take much.

(Jay AM) #12

Veganism is so much of a cult mindset. I escaped it. I swear it creates mental issues. You feel morally superior, meanwhile you struggle daily. Did you know meat eaters smell funny sometimes? I could hardly walk into a grocery store that was busy because everyone smelled crazy bad if they were sweating. I gained a lot of weight on normal home cooked vegan foods. I ate a very varied diet of whole soaked grains, sprouted beans, soaked nuts, homemade nut milks, coconut products, veggies obviously, spices, vegan bread and faux meat products, noodles, green smoothies with lots of fruit. But, after a few months, I’d crave protein to an extreme level. All I could think of specifically was ham. I’d have ham dreams/nightmares. Eventually, I’d sneak to a store in the middle of the night and buy a pound of ham and eat it in the car. It was delicious shame ham.

Anyways, changes on keto. No more random fatigue, less symptoms of pre diabetes, less foot and lower leg edema, more energy sometimes, not as allergic to my dog as usual even without my allergy pills, latex cross reactive food allergy response is sometimes delayed or reduced with accidental exposure versus a guaranteed intense reaction before.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #13

This one resonates with me completely!

(Bunny) #14

If I take a deeper insight into vegetarian eating there really is not much of difference other than more dietary fat and a little protein. As far as excessive sugar intake? Hmmm? Just look at what might be happening world wide when you add different types of fats to that excessive sugar intake (edit: including insulin spiking carbs like processed foods, grains, starches?) and types of sugars to varying degrees? And maybe not enough fat in the diet?

Questioning the Ethics & Science of a Pure Vegan Diet

(Raj Seth) #15

If a Vegan were to corner me, I would ask them if they supported Trump or Hillary? Whatever they said, I would pick the other, and then assert that discussion about keto v Vegan was as futile as us discussing presidential politics :grinning:

There is no value added by trying to Keto-vert a Vegan, and no one can unKeto me!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

Some come around. My daughter tried the vegan lifestyle for a few months and then admitted she was tired all the time. It was a pain because when she was vegan and we went out to eat there was nowhere she could go! Now we are way more compatible.

(Terence Dean) #17

Not too many vegans would admit to doing that but I bet it happens a lot.

(Jay AM) #18

I’ve known vegans to cheat with eggs, milk, and butter. I think because it’s further removed from the idea of a dead animal. But, if you hear the way vegans explain animal products, it’d kind of grosses most people out to eat them. So, I’m betting the ones who don’t cheat have worked themselves into being so disgusted by the idea that they can’t. I, for example, still can’t stomach anything with a bone in it. Or obvious veins. I try not to look at my meat too hard mostly.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

My daughter found out she was anemic. Now, granted (mea culpa) I was a vegetarian for 7 years, including the whole time I was pregnant with her. She turned out fine. (And my cholesterol went sky high). But there still is a huge difference. Vegetarians get some fat. But, as everyone here knows, our distant ancestors were not living on veggies. Even if the hunt didn’t work out, they ate the occasional rodent. Vegans just don’t understand that we were fasting/feasting at the point where our brains developed to where we are now. Interviewed a bunch of doctors to find out what group could be cut out - and across the board they said “grains or starches.” But then cautioned to take a B vitamin? Like our distant ancestors needed vitamins…

(Bunny) #20

Published on May 1, 2017 Dr. Darren Schmidt Veganism vs. Ketosis and meat eating. Drs. Greger and McDougall.

The research shows ketosis beats veganism for the three major diseases: heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. …More

You can be a vegan and still get into ketosis.
95% of nutrition research for this is crap and will make you think meat and fat is bad: …More

I based my statement that Eskimo live to be in their hundreds from a patient in Yukon Canada whose neighbors, the Tlingit, live to be in their hundreds according to my patient who has lived near them for 30 years. Otherwise, Eskimo Live 10 years shorter than Americans because they live on ice and have harsh life conditions.