Lean body mass and protein intake

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #1

Thanks to another member for pointing me towards this calculator after a question I asked in another post,
http://www.calculator.net/lean-body-mass-calculator.html
I’ve worked on about 1grm protein per kilo. Fairly active 53yr old male, currently 53kgs weight, no health issues really. 170 height.
Trying to build more muscle by doing a some weights 3 times a week and Im generally do a brisk walk 5 miles most days.
Calculator tells me around 46. 5 grams protein!
Some days I can easily double that.
I try for a 16%p 10c & 74+f split if I can. Give or take a bit.
I don’t want to over strain the kidneys unnecessarily but wondered what the consensus from the collective was on this point?
\v/

(Pete A) #2

I’m 54 5’10 155 lbs. My protein need via the calculator is 112 grams per day (lean body mass x .9) I’m also active regularly and average a little low on the protein (around 100).

Sounds right?

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #3

Jeez, that’s a small rib eye for me
: -(

(Mike W.) #4

(Pete A) #5

Okay haha it’s actually more than a small ribeye and to be honest I don’t hold back! :smiley:

(Mike W.) #6

https://idmprogram.com/how-much-protein-is-excessive/

(Mike W.) #7

To put it simply, much less than people believe or are willing to accept. No, you can’t eat all the meats and cheeses you want.

(Bunny) #8

A Comprehensive Guide to Bodybuilding on the Ketogenic Diet

How Much Protein is Enough?
In the most recent International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand on diets and body composition, the researchers reported that a protein intake of 1.4-2 g per kilogram or 0.6-.9 grams per pound of bodyweight is ideal for athletic populations (like bodybuilders). Bodybuilders who are on a cut (cutting calories to lose fat) will be able to preserve muscle mass (and, in some cases, gain muscle) by increasing their protein intake even more. Ketogenic dieters will also benefit from higher protein intakes.

The best protein sources on the ketogenic diet are:

Meat
Eggs
Fish
High-fat dairy
Low-carb protein powders
The Takeaway:

If you are trying to gain or maintain muscle on a ketogenic diet:

Eat around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2 g of protein per kilogram)

If you are trying to lose fat and maintain muscle:

Eat around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2 g of protein per kilogram)

However, some may benefit the most from protein intakes above ~1.3 grams per pound of body weight (3 grams per kilogram)

To figure out how these numbers play into the rest of your ketogenic diet, use our keto calculator. It will provide you with the information you need to find out if you are eating enough protein and calories.

(Rob) #9

It’s per kg of LBM not lb, so 112 seems very high per that calculation. Not that 112g will probably do you any harm and would do well with lifting exercises etc…

(Pete A) #10

I see so many variations on how much protein is needed, one calculator says this, another that. In this case I’m focusing on 65% fat 30% protein and 5 carb, however that winds up.

My gym routine is regular and I’m leaning up nicely. There’s some excess skin but not much, with a 60 lbs plus weight loss…so.

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #11

Pete_A
No I meant my recommended limit. However, my rib eyes would be nearer 200grm uncooked I reckon and a goodly % of that fat.
\v/

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #12

Thanks all for the information. I have cut back on the protein, but don’t won’t to be deficit in it and start losing muscle. I’ll read those links and hope I’m not too confused after them all.
\v/

(Mike W.) #13

It’s grams of protein not grams of meat though.

(3c6f21097d06511a9e23) #14

Well thats better, I may have glossed over that point or forgotten about in the heat of “tiny steak” moment.
I use Fatsecret to record my daily macros and scanning through that it appears various steak types range from 20 to 30 grams of protein per 100grms.
I actually already realised this, but its good to have it in this thread.
Thanks for the reminder.
\v/

(Ken) #15

For those training, following the one third fat, two thirds meat ratio will get pretty close to the 60/35 fat to protein macro.