LCHF impaires performance

(ianrobo) #1

On twitter a couple of anti LCHF’ers quite excited by this abstract

however on reading it I am confused did these athletes Keto adapt or in fact are we seeing a report that just confirms what we all knew during keto adaption ?

Unfortunately there are 2 important things to know.

1. Louise who conducted test is very much anti-fat
  2. It takes more than 21 days to b fat adapted, most take between 3-6mths .

Oh and the amount of carbs for a serious performance athlete was quite low. Those who are keto adapted use more carbs … Can be 150-200g and still b in state of ketosis. The key is taking the time to get to that point.

(ianrobo) #3

Which goes to another debate on he sports section. So in fact all this study did was to prove something everyone knew anyway !

Yep. A waist of time, money.
The carbers all saying carb timing crucial.
Well duhhhhhh…
In any endurance event, lchf athletes still use carbs but only when they have to which is of course towards the end for a final burst, not every 30-45mins otherwise.

(ianrobo) #5

Yep but it is amazing how the carber docs etc jump onto anything ! How could anyone think that they could make it pass ?

(Richard Morris) #6

I suspect it is desperation, after several years where the science is apparently not going their way even slightly.

(ianrobo) #7

I note @richard a lot for Aus institute of sport so given the position of Dr Bruckner is this the motivation ?

(Richard Morris) #8

I think he’s got his own domain he is allowed free reign within as long as the team is getting results.

(ianrobo) #9

and no one denies he got that despite some dodgy results … not due to fitness at all