Latest Chemotherapy involves blood sugar flogging

(Ohio ) #1

I’m hearing the latest strategy with chemotherapy involves filtering out blood sugar to dangerously low levels then when administering chemotherapy make blood sugar skyrocket.

I’m just curious who is making what of this. Who’s even heard this? I feel like we could make lots of assessments from this. My first is chemo sounds like it is more grueling than it was. Second being fat adapted would pay dividends if you were to have chemotherapy work.

My apologies: If this is in the wrong place. Old news. Etc. I’m an epileptic so my stints online are brief.

(Bob M) #2

Chemo, for the ones I’ve seen, is devastating. I think it kills more often than it helps. Maybe some of it works? The ones I saw did not.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Check out the work of Thomas Seyfried.

He and his people have developed a press-pulse protocol that puts the patient on a ketogenic diet to deprive the cancer of sugar (the press), plus a combination of fasting (if the patient is up to it) for five days to a week before the dose of chemotherapy or radiation (the pulse). It’s a form of treatment that works quite well. Dr. Seyfried said in one recent interview that he’d prefer to eliminate the chemo and the x-rays, but that’s the standard of care.

So in Dr. Seyfried’s protocol, the fasting takes the job of really lowering glucose, making the machine unnecessary (of course, it is quite a help to carb-burners; they would not be in shape for fasting to help to the necessary degree).

As far as “dangerously low” is concerned, the concept is different for carb-burners versus ketonians. For the former, blood sugar below 70 mg/dL/3.9 mmol/L is a real problem, but for people with ketones in their blood stream, it can safely go as low as 50/2.8 or even below. There is a limit to how low, of course, because the brain apparently needs some minimum amount of glucose (though nobody knows how much), and the red blood cells need glucose to survive, becaue they lack mitochondria and therefore cannot metabolise fatty acids or ketones.

They’re literally trying all different ways to go about Chemo, I forget which podcast (long list) but the doc was saying how they use WAY less than they used to years ago, so trying other things to help the effectiveness.

I have not heard of this protocol. I have, however, heard of the 3-day fast before administering chemotherapy. However, most available studies regarding fasting or calorie restriction are still pre-clinical. As well, autophagy’s role in cancer is complicated by the fact that, although tumour-suppressive in healthy cells, it may promote malignancy in cancer cells.

There is still so much to learn about cancer. Early screening and detection are still the best routes for survival. Stages 1 & 3 are generally treatable. Stage 4 is a different story. Once the primary cancer has metastasized to another organ, the 10-year survival rate is still very low, almost zero. This has not changed in the last 60 years.

Are his theories actually being used to treat humans yet?

(Ohio ) #7

The raise in bloodsugar as chemotherapy is being administered is to essentially “wake up” the tumors and makes them more responsive to chemotherapy. It just sounds terrible. A pharmacist also told me years ago she was using radioactive sugar to help locate hard to find tumors. Amazing.

[quote=“PaulL, post:3, topic:120277”] There is a limit to how low, of course, because the brain apparently needs some minimum amount of glucose (though nobody knows how much), and the red blood cells need glucose to survive, becaue they lack mitochondria and therefore cannot metabolise fatty acids or ketones.
[/quote]

That’s where gluconeogenesis takes over. If the glucose isn’t there, it’s getting it from protein/fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Both he and other doctors are using this protocol, yes. And with excellent results.

(Bob M) #9

The main problem is that once there’s an “approved” method for cancer, you HAVE to use that method. Dr. Seyfried has to go to other countries to test his theories, and even then his theories are added on top of the whatever the “approved” method is.

And you have to both limit glucose AND take drugs to limit l-glutamine, which cancer (all?) can use. And there’s a timing issue.

@Hippie That’s still the way they find cancer, they use radioactively tagged glucose. I do think I’d have to eat a different keto diet if I got cancer. Even though gluconeogenesis is controlled, I also exercise 5 days a week (causes blood sugar to go up), which I assume means more gluconeogenesis in order to recover.

Edit: It remains to be seen whether reversing my meals from higher protein to higher fat would mean less gluconeogenesis.

Lets hope from this study that the results do prove to extend life and health span and that the second group of 12 also show positive results. Keeping my fingers crossed.

(david a varga) #11

sigh, If you really explore Thomas Seyfrieds work they only actually will work with you if you have glioblastoma (cancer of the brain). There is a certain top partner in their foundation, a nutritionist in Miriam Kalamian. In her book that I have and read, and just like in Thomas Seyfrieds videos, you clearly would think that their press pulse method would work with any cancer that has reverted to using glucose for fermentation in the mitochondria. Which is evidently almost all of them. The Press portion of the Press Pulse being starving the cells of their main food glucose but also rythmatically starving the cancer cells of glutamine. Then with only the cancer cells in the body in a weakened condition because the rest of the body, the healthy cells, were receiving fuel from Ketosis, apply the Pulse of toxic pulses of Chemo or radiation or pulses of non-toxic pulses of hyperbaric oxygen or intravenous vitamin c to kill the cancer. I have studied their videos and tried referring two of my friends to obtain the cancer prevention kit from Seyfried and active nutritional support via Kalamian. That is when I found they are only doing Brain Cancer support. Too bad. I really loved their approach and them giving complete keto guidance and blood monitoring tools to be certain the person was in therapeutic ketosis and they were correctly using the drug for glutamine reduction.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Glioblastoma multiforme being among the deadliest and most aggressive of cancers, it’s not surprising that’s where the Seyfried team are concentrating their efforts. If Seyfried’s protocol can have good results with glioblastoma, it speaks well for its efficacy in treating other cancers.

A more general oncologist who uses keto in her practice is Dawn Lemanne in Oregon, who for legal reasons does not treat long-distance, but who will consult with your local cancer doctor. She has done a couple of lectures at Low Carb Down Under events, videos available on YouTube.

We don’t hear so much about Paleo Medicina in Budapest (Hungary) these days. The work of Dr. Zsófia Clemens Neurobiologist, brain researcher. Their treatment range (of diseases and cancers) seems a bit wider than brain cancer. Also using the G:K ratio like Seyfried et al.

(Rossi Luo) #14

This technology is called Positron Emission Tomography, I had a PET scan around 2 years ago because I suspect I had tumor (a tumor marker is abnormal in my annual body check), fortunately, there was no tumor found.