Latest brisket

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Hmmm. A little “too tender” ? Probably sounds like strange problem to have for anyone who doesn’t cook SV, right ?
Anyway, I finished a nice 4 lb hunk of brisket yesterday, after SV’ing at 133 F for 22 hrs. I guess it probably only needed 16-18 ? As you could have used a spoon to cut it. Any more tender and it would have been mushy. This would have been fantastic for my buddy with no teeth :slightly_smiling_face:

Next time, I’m going for only 18 hrs…

(Greg) #2

Looks awesome! I had a similar problem last time I smoked a brisket. I finished in the oven (cheating I know) and opted to wrap in foil as I didn’t have any butchers paper. When I went to chop it, it literally fell apart as if it was pulled. I was so disappointed I haven’t attempted one since.

(Richard Levy) #3

I’ve just gotten into brisket this summer. I use my regular BBQ grill with a smoke box. I use the 2nd cut brisket (first cut is too lean). Smoked for around 1 1/4 hour per lb. Finished it in foil. Didn’t come out as tender as the real long smoked BBQ, but it had a great smoke ring and was delicious.

I’ve also smoked chicken bottoms; came out great.

Slow cooked BBQ is the way to go!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Yea BTW, as I had told my GF, we really need to hammer on our meat supply in the freezer, for a few weeks, as we are starting to get overloaded.
However, the next time I see a yellow tagged Beef Brisket for $2 - 2.50 a lb, I’m going to have to get one. And this time around, I’m not going to worry too much about trimming so much of the fat on it either. I find that a lot of it renders in long SV cookings, and I can melt it farther with my torch. Not afraid of fat anymore :wink:

Too tender means thicker slices!